SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have an 84' oday 30 sloop with a universal M3-20B. About a week ago I noticed that I was giving it more throttle when in gear and the engine didn't repond, wouldn't go above 2k RPMs. Runs fine in netural but under laod it dies down and emits a nasty black looking soot in the exhaust water. Any suggestions? Any one else have this happen?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Black soot means a very rich fuel to air mixture typically. Start with the air filter and ensure you are getting appropriate airflow. Then move onto your injectors ensure they are clean and the nozzles don't look worn. Installing new ones might be required. I haven't done much work on diesels but lots on old motorcycle gas engines. If the problem persists then I would go with a compression test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I had the injectors tested a shop today and they are fine, no issues with the air intake either. I also had a local mechanic provide some guidance and he didn't perform the compression test but said the resistance when turning the crank showed compression was good.......I don't know. will let ya all know what comes of it

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
Clean your exhaust elbow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts