SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Both of the hatches in my newly acquired O'Day 35 are a bit leaky. I'm hoping this is just the gasket, and not the bedding, but realize there's not much to do to solve this beyond trial and error.

My question is this: Are there different gaskets for different Bomar hatches? The boat is a 7 hour round trip from me, so if anyone could tell me what the hatches are, exactly, that would help too. I only know that they are Bomar, with black frames. I'd like to get the parts before my next trip down to work on her.

Thanks a lot.
Ed

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,241 Posts
There are really three potential source of hatch leaks, the gasket, frame caulking and the lens bedding. I'd say you need to figure out what is leaking, otherwise you are, well, just guessing. To repair the leak in my cabin hatch I had to rebed the lens in the hatch frame.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any tips on figuring out which it might be? I looked at them the other day, in the rain, but couldn't really get a grip on which, exactly, was the culprit.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,241 Posts
When the area inside is dry, close the hatch ans try spreading some chalk dust around. Then let the spray of a hose fall onto the hatch area while you watch inside - you may be able to see where the first moisture appears in the dust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts