SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the length of the prop shaft on an O'Day 40?
I need to pull the hub to replace the PSS seal and I anticipate it not coming off.
If I can order a shaft and hub assy ahead of time I'll save time and if the hub comes off OK I'll keep the old bronze one for a spare.

Neil

·
Registered
198 Posts
Contact Rudy at D&R marine, Mass. He is the ODAY guru.
Google D&R marine for his number.:)

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Just slice the hub with a right angle grinder and cutting wheel, get a new hub. If the O40 is like most Odays the rudder needs to drop

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,540 Posts
On my O'day 35:
  • 1" x 48-3/4" shaft
  • 4" x 2-½" coupling
  • 1 x 1-3/8" x 4" cutless bearing (if you're replacing the shaft you should replace the bearing)

I also upgraded from the Buck-Algonquin stuffing box to a PSS Shaft seal, and had everything machined to fit.

After installing the cutless bearing, slide the shaft through the cutless bearing, into the shaft log, and through the PSS bellows. This would be a good time to replace the bellows.Install the stainless steel disk using NEW set screws. PSS sells a "kit" that includes the bellows, O rings, hose clamps, and set screws. See here; PSS Shaft Seal

Many of us have also added an additional clamp to ensure that the disk does not move. When installing the coupling, use a heat gun to preheat the coupling to over 120ºF before trying to slip it over the shaft (wear gloves).

Like Denise says; I had to drop the rudder... This is also a good time to check for water ingress into the rudder.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,540 Posts
I reinstalled the rudder by tying a line to the rod that runs across the inside of the rudder post, and ran it through the rudder log, to a winch. I cranked the winch, which raised the rudder, while a helper guided the rudder post into the rudder log. I then blocked the rudder, and reinstalled the rudder quadrant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts