SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O'day Gel Coat Match

Hello. Any sources or prior experience matching O'day factory gel coat? I have a 1981 22 foot. I'm trying to match the cockpit bottom nonskid color, which I believe is the same as the nonskid on the cabin top. I hop to grind out some spider cracks and replicate the pattern. Thanks.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Good luck with that...

I had a spot on the non-skid of my companionway hatch that needed to be repaired. I bought the Gibco Flex-Mold (pattern 319) and provided it to a "Professional" that, as I was told by the marina manager "could do repairs so well that you couldn't see them." He tried to match the gelcoat, and got pretty close, then he CUT a piece of the 12 x 12 Flex-Mold that I provided to a smaller size - twice! -
because he was totally clueless about repairing gelcoat non-skid. The end result looks like hell. When the job was done, the marina manager apologized, provided me the four pieces of Flex-Mold, and did not bill me.

Reactions: CapriC

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Most gel-coat supplers with computer matching equipment can do this for you. All you need to do is send them a drilled out '3/4" button' from your present gelcoat and they will come real close to your original color and hue. But, if there's been a LOT of sun bleaching of the adjacent gelcoat surface, you might need to do some serious wet-sanding and power buffing of the old gelcoat to get all the colors and hues matched.
You can also contact Rudy at D&R marine (the worlds remaining parts supplier for Oday and Pearsons) and see what he has already on the shelf and in stock. If he no longer supplies color matched gel coat, ask him if the still has the 'color match NUMBERS' so you don't need to cut a hole into your existing gel coat to send out for computerized color matching.
D & R Marine

FWIW: "Professional Gelcoat repair without a MESS" by John Gabriel - DVD ... includes gelcoat tint matching by 'eyeball'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts