SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an O'Day Sprite and its time to teach our children how to sail. I can't find any information on the Sprite, nor can I find the sails. Can anyone help direct me... The boat hasn't been used in years, but was once a great friend to my husband and we are hoping will have the same meaning to our son. We look forward to many summers on the lake, and hope someone can help make that possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Sprite also, the sails that came with it were fairly new and made by Doyle Sails. Jeff H was a great help on here with mine and sent a sketch that he did detailing the rigging, I'd be glad to email you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a Sprite to use as a rowing dinghy, the hull is in good shape and I would like to add a sail to teach my kids with.

I would appreciate anything you can send regarding the rig dimensions -
Mast / boom length, diameter wall thickness
Sail luff and foot lengths
Shroud diameters

[email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
sprite info

Been looking myself for info opn the boat, the best source I have found is baker boat works, who sells the plans for the sprite,

www.by-the-sea.com/bakerboatworks/

it's listed as the spirit, download the PDF and it explains that it was designed for O'day, and 3500 were built.
Have thought of buying the plans, but $39.00 is a touch steep in my mind to check rigging etc.

Supersprite:
I have the mast and boom in the garage, If you still need the measurements I'll mtake them for you, been rainy here so I'd have to hold up on measuring the sails.

Ken.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sprite rigging info

Hello there, Gibz here,

I recently bought an O-day Widgeon and wondered if you could send on the rigging details ([email protected]) for the Sprite, which I reckon will be similar enough for purposes. Just joined this site and looks real useful for a novice owner like me.

Thanks, all tha best, looking forward to getting out on the ocean!!

gibz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for O'Day Sprite Rigging info

Hello!

I have a '65 O'Day Sprite, and I've done extensive searching online to try to find proper rigging instructions for the boat. We just started sailing a few years ago, so we're pretty new to it. We've done well with the Sprite (it's a blast) but I'm just not convinced that the rigging is right. But I can't find it instructions, drawings or even a close-up photo ANYWHERE.

tpm622, it's been 4 years since your post, so I'm hoping you're still a member on here. If you still have those drawings (or if any of you do), I would greatly appreciate getting those from you. I know there aren't many Sprites out there, which is what's making my quest for rigging info so difficult.

Any help ANY of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-freefare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another Sprite rigging request

I too have recently acquired a sprite and don't know how to rig it. If anybody here has any information on that, and you can send it to me, I will post it on my website, then come back here and post a link to it so future folks can have access to it easily. Thanks. My email is markottman at yahoo.com

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
My first boat as a Sprite. They had very simple rigging. There were two mast steps, the standard rigging was for the sloop rig and used the aft mast step. There shrouds attached with a multi-hole adjuster on either rail just aft of the forward flotation tank and the forestay had a turnbuckle. the jib, main and spin halards each have their own blocks and there were cleats on either side of the mast to tie them off. You raised the mainsail and tightened the halyard tight then pushed down on the boom and adjusted luff tension with the gooseneck track. The jib sheet had fixed lead blocks on either side of the cockpit and the lead was adjusted with a short pennant on the tack of the jib. The main traveler was a wire bridle across the transom just high enough to clear the tiller. There was single block with becket at the end of the boom. The mainsheet tied to the becket, ran down to a block on the traveler, back to the sheave on the same block, forward to a block a 3-4 feer forward on the boom and the vertical. It was cleated to a jamb cleat (jamb up) on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. There was no vang. The outhaul was tied to an eye at the end of the boom, passed through the sail and back to the other eye then ran forward to a tubular clam cleat.

That's it....
Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is close to helping me rig an old O'Day Sprite. I cannot find a manual or any diagrams for rigging. Everything is rusted and in pieces. So I'm starting from scratch here. I've been using Google to find the meaning of all the terms (becket, pennant, jamb cleat - I know cleat). There are parts missing, but I don't what they are. I have sailed and rigged dinghies and Lightnings - years ago. But we were not so full of jargon, back then. So can anyone point me to a diagram with a fully rigged Sprite? I'd like to find a manual and parts list along with the diagram. I'm at [email protected] - if you have a link to share or a file to send. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for a mainsail for a O'Day Sprite. I grew up sailing one on Cape Cod Bay in the 60s and taught my kids to sail in it in the early 80s. It would be a kick to have one or two recycled sail Sea Bags beach bags made from the sails with the emblem. Condition is not greatly important. Thanks in advance if you have one or two old Sprite sails that you are looking to sell "cheap". Thanks, George F.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all- I have a 10’ sprite o’day. After an unfortunate capsize, I managed to lose the rudder. Any advice on where I could find a replacement rudder?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
Hello all- I have a 10’ sprite o’day. After an unfortunate capsize, I managed to lose the rudder. Any advice on where I could find a replacement rudder?

Any help is appreciated!
I would think that it would be pretty difficult to find an already made rudder for a Sprite since they have not been made in nearly 50 years and weren't all that common back when they were made.

I do think it would be pretty easy to build a new replica rudder. If I remember my Sprite correctly, the rudder consisted of an aluminum blade with mahogany plywood cheeks. The aluminum was probably 5/16" and the plywood was probably 1/2". You could make a rough pattern by blowing up an image of the Sprite in profile. The rest of the rudder was all simple screws and bolts, except for Racelite pindles and straps for the tiller. I think that my tiller was mahogany.

If do not plan to sail on and off the beach, or racing one design, then you might consider building the rudder without a kick up blade in which case you can build it out of glassed over plywood which would be simpler.

I actually made a tiller for my Sprite out of a piece of closet pole and carved an eagle head into it. I don't think I ever actually used that tiller but I still have it so I can dig it out and measure the butt width.

These are really nice little boats, well worth the effort.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
We always had the rudder string tied to the transom exactly for this reason, and from personal experience, there is a direct relationship between the age of the skipper and the number of times the boat capsizes. The description above offered by bcnoles is accurate and the easiest way of duplicating the rudder.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts

Any help is appreciated!
I first learned to sail in a Sprite. They are fun boats! We had a pintle with a locking pin, which was tied to the rudder to prevent losing the rudder.

Where did you capsize? I will bet that there is a perfectly good rudder on the bottom nearby. Is it possible to dive to recover it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi our Sea Scout unit has just been given an O'Day Sprite complete with everything but the sails. Does anyone have a spare set of sails we could purchase? Thanks, the scouts are anxious to get out on the water.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
If you can't find a used set Sailrite makes a DYI sail kit for the Sprite for around $350. it would make a good project for the Scouts to sew there own sails.

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
I think it would be unlikely to find a Sprite sail in good shape. Sailrite shows a DIY mainsail kit for the Oday Sprite for roughly $200 https://www.sailrite.com/ODay-Sprite-Main-Sail-Kit and a Jib kit for $150. O'Day Sprite Jib Sail Kit - Sailrite. The sail cloth is light enough that you might not need a heavy duty machine to sew the sail. I would think that learning to make a sail would be a good educational project for the scouts (even if one or more of the parents needed to do some of the heavier lifting and get the bulk of the sewing done.)

Jeff

Reactions: eherlihy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts