SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying one of 3 older boats for off shore cruising. Pearson 365, Cal 39, and Catalina 38.
Dose anyone have an opinion on which one they would buy to cruise offshore with, and why ?

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Isn't all sailing done offshore?
Lets hope so, or we all have the wrong boats! we would need land yachts! vs water yachts!

The Catalina IMHO is #3, then not sure if the pearson or cal would get the #1 or 2 choice. The Cal 40 is a known good offshore boat, not sure how close or far the 39 is for the same purpose.

marty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, first reply is Pearson 365 and Cal 39 are tied and rated higher for, blue water, transcontinental, passages, than the Catalina 38. I would agree , the Catalina is the lighter weight of the three.

Would other members be so kind as to submit your opinions on this matter.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think the Pearson 365 would be far kinder and easier to handle than the Cal 39. If you've read Liz Clark's blog about s/v Swell... you'd know that the motion on the Cals isn't the kindest, since they were primarily designed as racing boats, not cruisers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So out of the 3 boats the members preferences now for intercontinental cruising is, First , Pearson 365, Second Cal 39, Third Catalina 38.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Personally, I'd go with an HR Rasmus 35. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Members compiled list 1

Members Pics for Blue Water Passage boats.
35 to 40 feet.

................................................NADA Average Retail Selling Price 2009

Islander 36.................................$25,450
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35.............$31,200.
Alberg 37...................................$32,000.
Pretorian 35................................$50.000.

Members Please Nominate and vote for your favorite Blue Water Passge yacht
35 to 40 feet. 1980 or close.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Transcontinental??? Um, ANY boat can do that! Just load it up on a trailer and off ya go!:laugher

Maybe you meant transoceanic? Oh, yeah. Well I wouldn't take the Catalina. The Cal would be a rough ride as has been pointed out and the Pearson isn't the best model Pearson IMHO.

I would consider the Islander for certain.
There are lots of 70's era boats that would be suitable for offshore. JEFFH might not like them and they all have their drawbacks, but they'd work.
The Alberg would be a good choice also. H-R makes good boats but I'm not personally familiar w/ them other than the Mistral, which, while a little tight on room, sure looks good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blue water friendly hull

I am considering a 38 foot 1956 Knud Reimers Wood Yal. It weight 20,000 pounds , has a lot of hull under the water line, and has only a10 foot beem. I would think that it would ba sea kindly boat and comfortable for blue water cruzing. Dose any one have any pro or con thoughts about this?
Repectfully yours
starlightventure.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Do you mean the one in Blaine? If so, pretty boat, well maintained and updated with newer electrical etc. I always liked his Tumlaren design and love the Swede 55. I don't think he ever designed a wide boat for its length.
If she surveys well awesome boat - of course with the issues of a traditional planked wooden boat with lots of varnish. Good luck.
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yepp, thats the one. I am in need of any history on this boat. All I know so far is that it was a Knud Reimers Design, built in Germany in 1956. Thats all I know.
How it got to Blaine Washington , who commisioned it, past owners, is all a mystery.
I would greatly apreciate any information on the boat any one may have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts