SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
how big a friend is he? the reason I say this is its a pretty big favor he is doing you by doing it for free

unless he is going to use the boat to take drugs down or fill up with chicks or whatnot(this is what you would put in the contract)...I would think.

id try to be as nice to him for such a favor...in other words make the boat sound, make sure there are no things undisclosed that would make his passage real hard or waste time with, etc..etc...

you know fill the bilge with some nice wine and beer for his services that kind of thing

also and this is just me, a non monetary delivery is hard to justify the need for a contract

there is nothing to counter demand the other party if something happens right?

if all of a sudden he doesnt like the boat and its not working for him it would be real hard to demand the guy keep going right? on what basis?

anyways good luck

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Vancouver is not the US...so I beleive he might be talking about Canadian Offshore Certification if indeed there is such a thing

just a guess jeje

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
but it comes down to

THIS IS A FREE DELIVERY...

this isnt normal delivery talk...basically its like loaning a boat...and hoping it doesnt get damaged and that both parties are happy in the end

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
lending a boat is even more dangerous! jajaja

seriously I think there are two very different topics being discussed here

1. a loan of a boat on international travel

2. the hiring of an individual for "free" with a contract which as has been stated is very hard to do BECAUSE there is nothing to counter attack the other party with...

like I said before if you all of a sudden dont like the thought of your buddy sailing your boat for whatever reason that means you will be inconveniencing your friend quite a bit and changing his plans greatly with added expense

likewise if he doesnt like you boat for whatever reason or the trip bores him how are you the owner going to get him to stand by his word on a PAYLESS delivery

the contract in essence is the agreement of payment and on what terms...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup

real world is different from the fine print...you can cover yourself all you want but if your trying to avoid all risk and damages by thinking a contract will cover it in the real world sometimes it wont go your way

as an owner having a total loss should always be in your mind and you should be willing to accept this...no matter what, insurance or not...friend or you at the helm doesnt matter

accept the risk or dont do it...

peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.