SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this refrain is somewhat familiar, it's very theraputic for me to post about it, so I hope you don't mind. My wife and I are off to visit another boat out of our area again this weekend.

As much as we really want "our boat" to show up on the market locally, so far that hasn't materialized. This one is in the northeast, and would probably represent a 7 or 8 day sail home in the spring. Of course, we're in no rush, so the only way we put an offer on this boat is if it's really sweet. But the only way we'll know is if we check it out, right?

For those who don't know, we've put offers on two boats thus far. For the first, the broker turned out to be shady. The second boat we went all the way to survey and found a ton of blisters on the bottom. So back to drawing board we went.

So really, this is just an update. I'll let you know what we find when we get back. We've looked at so many boats already that I don't want to get my hopes up. But it's hard not to hope!
Thanks,
-J
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Good luck. :)
 

·
Thanks Courtney.
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
Have you considered having someone in the area go and look at the boat before you make travel plans? There are many on this forum that have/will volunteer to go have a look for you and let you know if it is worth the trip or not.

Just something to consider.
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Best of luck.

Ours is going on the truck tomorrow and should be "home" Friday. Next time I buy a boat it will be from WHERE I intend to use it. This has been a logistical learning experience; trying to get five seperate groups to handle the boat in the proper sequence - seller, hauling yard (seller kept it at a private dock w/no lift or crane and the hauling yard keeps the transient clock ticking every moment it is there plus the haul fee), mast unstepper/derigger/packer (closest yard with lift does not do rigging), trucker, receiving yard up here.

All with open pockets looking for bags of money. Sheesh! No doubt about it self-delivery is the way to go. My "fix her up" cash reserve kitty is looking like it went a few rounds with a Doberman.
 

·
Tartan 27' owner
Joined
·
5,242 Posts
Not to jump on the bandwagon but ...

There are a ton of folks who have said they would take a look at a local boat for you in the north east on the 'Local boat buying assistance' sticky. I posted there as well being a sort of amateur marine surveyor myself. I have a digital camera and would climb over the boat for you and send more pics but I doubt they would let me start up the engine at this point.
Of course you ultimately have to touch it and feel it yourself so I hope the trip is worth while for you.
As SD said, good luck.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good points. I'd thought of that on a previous boat, but for some reason it did not occur to me this time to ask someone to check it out. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

I think this time, we'll go ahead and make the trip. We're already planning to do it, and if the boat is a good one, then it will help that we've seen it earlier rather than later in this case.

But thanks everyone for the suggestion. I think next time, I'll will indeed ask someone to check the boat out first. It does help to have someone besides the broker tell you what they see before making a long trip! Thanks again!
-J
 

·
Aquaholic
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Don't forget to bring your moisture meter ...;)

:hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Might be worth having somebody take a look anyway. Getting a second opinion. Might hear something different from the broker. They could drop a line to the broker that the boat isn't worth half the asking price!
 

·
Glad I found Sailnet
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
Stick with it. Your boat will show up. If it's on Long Island, let me know. I'll help too.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. The folks here on Sailnet have been great.

We're heading out tomorrow to go one with our trip. Of course, I'll report back.

If this isn't "the boat" though, next time we find one up in that area I might ask for help taking a look first. Certainly worth it if someone is willing to help out!
Thanks again!
-J
 

·
Aquaholic
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
I agree with Paul; if there is anything sailors should share, it's the idea that the trip is more important than the destination.

Best of luck in your boat hunt; I'm just a year or so behind you!
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to both AjariBonten and Cardiacpaul. I agree with you both. We're hoping to have a fun roadtrip tomorrow regardless. We've got road-trip supplies (various implements of music, etc., snacks, and all that), and we're ready to go!
-J
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we're back! The trip went very well, considering it was very wet all day on the road. During the time we looked at the boat, the weather wasn't bad at all, and we were able to be very thorough. The listing broker let us on board and told us to take our time (which is good because we planned on taking a lot of time, and did!).

So now we have a problem. We really like the boat. Why should that be a problem? Well, because it's on the hard, winterized, and blocked in by other boats in the yard now. This boat isn't going anywhere until spring.

So now we have to decide what to do: Make an offer now, and try to take into consideration no sea trial, but still do survey and possibly engine survey (or work out some sort of escrow situation, which I'm not a big fan of because it has its own drawbacks)? Or wait to make an offer until later in winter when we're closer to spring and can sea trial, but then risk someone else buying the boat before then?

Anyway, some of you probably know I've posted about this question before, except before it was hypothetical--no real boat. We don't necessarily need to go over that topic again, though anyone is welcome to provide thoughts on it. If the boat hadn't been in good condition, this wouldn't be an issue. Of course, that's not the case, so now we have a problem. :)
-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Or a third option, put down a deposit on the purchase but do NOT close the deal until March. You can still get out of it at survey. I do not like the idea of buying with money held in escrow. You never know what you might find at the other half of the survey in the spring where you would rather walk away from the deal instead of getting some cash back for repairs.

Once you buy, you're stuck with it regardless of what shows up in the spring sea trial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
If it were me and I liked the boat, I make a offer with 20% down subject to survey, sea trail, insurance, and financing. Survey and Sea trail in the spring in case there is any damage over the winter. The 20% will show your serious, but I would not bring up anything about holding any of your funds in escrow over and above the deposit. The boat owner can aways counter your offer on the selling price or the terms.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Possibly a good option--if we decide to make an offer, you're right that we can at least try the offer that we're most comfortable with. Our assumption has always been that there's no way the seller is going to pull the boat off the market for several months waiting for the sea trial/survey. And we're probably right. But it might not hurt to start there and see where it goes. You never know.
-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,274 Posts
Its a long winter.

I'd put the boat on my watch list and plan on taking a few more such trips over the next two months as other candidates come on the market. Then, if this boat is still your favorite come March, then put in an offer then when the survey and sea trial can be completed in short order.

That will give you a few weekends to look forward to over the winter and the odds of loosing this boat are all that great since anyone else interested has the same issues regarding buying this time of year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Possibly a good option--if we decide to make an offer, you're right that we can at least try the offer that we're most comfortable with. Our assumption has always been that there's no way the seller is going to pull the boat off the market for several months waiting for the sea trial/survey. And we're probably right. But it might not hurt to start there and see where it goes. You never know.
-J
josrulz, you would not be asking for anything another smart buyer wouldn't be asking for. The seller may very well accept your offer as he would know that the boat is sold, if it passes survey and sea trial in the spring. This is not all that uncommon in snow country and I have seen deals go together like this. The boat is not going to sea trail until spring no matter who puts an offer on it.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its a long winter.

I'd put the boat on my watch list and plan on taking a few more such trips over the next two months as other candidates come on the market. Then, if this boat is still your favorite come March, then put in an offer then when the survey and sea trial can be completed in short order.

That will give you a few weekends to look forward to over the winter and the odds of loosing this boat are all that great since anyone else interested has the same issues regarding buying this time of year.
Agreed, it is a long winter, so that's on our minds of course. Though we've looked at a dozen boats already, up and down the east coast. Based on that experience, I can say that while it's possible a "better" example will appear this winter, it wouldn't be much better, if indeed one appeared that is. My wife and I both had the "this is the boat" feeling when we were on board--that's the only reason for the "problem". If it were just "pretty good", we wouldn't think twice about waiting until late winter. Hmmm...
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
josrulz, you would not be asking for anything another smart buyer wouldn't be asking for. The seller may very well accept your offer as he would know that the boat is sold, if it passes survey and sea trial in the spring. This is not all that uncommon in snow country and I have seen deals go together like this. The boat is not going to sea trail until spring no matter who puts an offer on it.
Thanks for the perspective, bubb2. If we make an offer, we'll most definitely do so with the terms that work best for us, including sea trial and survey. Your point that the seller might accept it is a good one. We'll see! Thanks again,
J
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top