SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I found the two attached maps detailing offshore drilling zones*as of February 2017, which is a members consortium for companies seeking drilling access using an intermediate to the US government. *Has anyone seen them?*

I looks like a great deal of offshore drilling was extended from Florida up to North Carolina and organizations are trying to get access waters up*to New England.

Appreciate*if you've found more information on where the proposed platforms will be and any current ones. *Also any guidance on where to find more information on the sites.

Thank you,
Nick

PS - this board will not let me post links or images, below are the detailed maps to view.
httpso//pasteboard.co/H55MQ1H.png
httpso//pasteboard.co/H55N1p1.png

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
The news mentioned "all U.S. ". waters . . . . sounds crazy . . . like our prez. . . . . I'm big fights ahead, New Hampshire governor already against, and he's a republican . . .

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Nick, this is not quite drilling. It's leasing, which is the first step on the way to drilling, although no guarantee that drilling will ever actually happen. By way of background credentials, I'm an energy/environmental consultant who's been involved in this issue for about two decades now. I used to be a marine policy analyst in the Governor's office in Florida, now I'm independent. The news you're hearing about is called a "5-year leasing plan." The federal government does this every so often to gauge industry and the states' interest in offering up federal offshore areas (3-mile by 3-mile blocks) that they could eventually explore for oil and gas, and if they find recoverable quantities of hydrocarbon, would then produce. The U.S. is currently working under the 2017-2022 program that was developed during the Obama Administration and strongly influenced by the BP oil spill. Trump is wanting to develop his own plan (i.e.; 2019-2024) so it's not been five years, but that's totally within the President's prerogative. There have been both Congressional and Presidential moratoria in place for much of the "planning areas" since the 80s following the Santa Barbara oil spill. This has kept most leasing contained within the Central and Western Gulf of Mexico, though there are existing platforms off Southern California and some leases as well as production occurring in the deeper waters off Florida (i.e, the Eastern Gulf of Mexico Planning Area). It will be interesting to see how bogged down the process gets because of the "take no prisoners" approach to the leasing plan. You may have heard recently that Florida was "exempted" from the leasing plan after that state's governor had a talk with the Dept of Interior Secretary. In reality, no one actually knows what this exemption entails and Trump has said this was done without his knowledge. As a policy wonk, it should be fun to watch this unfold. There is also a well-established process of public comment, including receiving input from the governors and representative of the affected states. You can find more info about the process here: https://www.boem.gov/National-OCS-Program/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks this is very helpful. I agree it will be interesting to see where this goes under the current administration.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Despite the hateful rhetoric posted here oil companies are only interested in drilling where the oil or gas is actually located in profitable quantities. It seems the hatred is strong in this group...... Methinks it is dominated by the forces of diversity and tolerance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts