SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over on the cruiser's forum and while searching for something I saw THIS thread.
Electric Toothbrush? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Stuff like this makes me want to puke. I mean how freaking hard is it to do something MANUALLY? Too many people dragging too much stuff around.:(

Jeez. Can't imagine the comments that the folks at SA would have! well, yes, I can.;)

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Holy crap.

What amazes me is that someone has to ask advice about it. Here's a novel idea: bring your toothbrush to the boat and see if it works. Besides, when those electric toothbrushes run out of power, THEY STILL WORK. You just need to use your wrist to move the bristles yourself.

Uggh. The Internet is an enabler of the stupid.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,392 Posts
I must be busy at work today...

Actually, these new toothbrushes are better at stimulating your gums then a traditional one and remove more plaque, or so my dental hygienist says :)

I like mine, seems like I spend more time brushing as well, using a battery operated model, I replace the batteries about once a month.

Are Electric Toothbrushes Better Than Manual Toothbrushes? - 1-800-DENTIST®

·
560 Posts
I agree. Electric brushes kick a$$, but can be quite embarrassing:

A couple of winters ago, I was heading up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing. It took two trips to the car to get my stuff out of the apartment. When I returned with the second load, my neighbor was moving one of the bags I had brought down on the 1st trip as it was blocking her car.

"Something is, uh, vibrating in there", she says.

"That's my toothbrush!", I say, digging frantically in the bag to show proof, "My toothbrush! See?"

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
ROFLMAO... Just imagine if you couldn't find it or if the brush part had come off... :)

I agree. Electric brushes kick a$$, but can be quite embarrassing:

A couple of winters ago, I was heading up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing. It took two trips to the car to get my stuff out of the apartment. When I returned with the second load, my neighbor was moving one of the bags I had brought down on the 1st trip as it was blocking her car.

"Something is, uh, vibrating in there", she says.

"That's my toothbrush!", I say, digging frantically in the bag to show proof, "My toothbrush! See?"

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
I was over on the cruiser's forum and while searching for something I saw THIS thread.
Electric Toothbrush? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Stuff like this makes me want to puke. I mean how freaking hard is it to do something MANUALLY? Too many people dragging too much stuff around.:(

Jeez. Can't imagine the comments that the folks at SA would have! well, yes, I can.;)
It is tough Dave, being old and all, like me.............but do you have a cordless drill?

I still have my corded at home, no cordless.

BUT, my new to me boat came with a cordless. Can't wait to use it - well, sorta can't wait if you know what I mean.

My dental hygenist converted me to a rechargable Oral-B. I don't take it to the boat though cause I would probably forget it there.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I heard some time ago that they actually were better at brushing versus just being the convenience item they apparently were in the past. Still.....I wonder just how much better.

I remember my mother saying, when she reached a certain age, that we could get her anything we wanted for her birthday except another appliance of any sort. I suspect that she meant that, if she elected to bake bread, she'd do it the way she'd always done it and not be tripping over a bread machine. And I'll confess that I think I'm fast approaching a similar attitude, and age come to think of it!

Regarding the OP's point; even if an electric brush does a better job, for me it would be just one more thing designed to make life on board more like life on shore, and for me that starts down the road where the boat becomes optional.
edit:
Ah, reading the link above I see that manual brushing can be just as effective as machine brushing if properly practiced. I've got 53 years of practice in as of yesterday so I guess I'll continue with the manual stimulation of my gums.

I don't think the OP would object to a cordless drill because it does not likely replace an electric drill on board and is demonstrably superior to a hand cranked drill. ...just my two cents.

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Avast!!

No fancy toothbrushin' for me aboard.

I just chew on some sand.

ARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!
In my younger days I had a drinking buddy who was a Commercial Diver and a former Navy Seal, he had a habit if going into a bar and taking a bite out of a glass. I never had the nerve to try it.

BTW my tooth bush has a timer built in so you brush each quadrant for 30 seconds then it skips a beat and you move to the next section. It gives you a nice smiley face on the display if you brush for the full 2 minutes. My dental check ups have improved tremendously since I started using it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got not one, but TWO cordless drills and I love them. That's kinds not the point though. A MANUAL toothbrush does a perfectly good job.... AND is one less thing to south on ya.
AND why in the world would someone have to discuss this? Take the damn thing to the boat and see for yourself how much power it draws. GOD, some people have to discuss/debate/investigate every bit of minutiae in their lives!

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
I've got not one, but TWO cordless drills and I love them. That's kinds not the point though. A MANUAL toothbrush does a perfectly good job.... AND is one less thing to south on ya.
AND why in the world would someone have to discuss this? Take the damn thing to the boat and see for yourself how much power it draws. GOD, some people have to discuss/debate/investigate every bit of minutiae in their lives!
The manual toothbrush or the drill battery on charge? :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts