SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it CCR that sang "Stuck in Lodi again" ? Anyway I know how they feel. Stuck in Vero again but not for much longer, Doreen will be back in a week and off we go to warmer climes. Can you believe it was nearly freezing here last night? I know you guys up north say that's nothing and that it's 20 below and you've got 20 feet of snow but you have heat! You go from your warm house to your warm car to your warm office or the warm mall. There's no heat on this boat and it's sitting in cold water so even the floorboards are cold. Last night I had every blanket on the boat on me. I tell you this cruising life is tough. :) Funny thing though, we usually complain that the water coming out of the taps is warm not like at home but I can now say the water coming out of the tap is colder than at home. Didn't need ice in my drink last night. Just one more night of this and hopefully the cold front will be gone and we'll have 80 degrees again. I'll just have to suck it in and take another night of cold. :)

Just a short note so that you understand that this sort of life is not all peaches and cream. :) My next report will include pictures of white sandy beaches, beautiful, clear blue water, palm trees and a tall glass dripping with condensation.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Do you have wool socks?
Long Johns? A sweater maybe?
yep, I'm with Cam, no sympathy here.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I think a BITE ME is in order here.

Nobody turned on the heater while I shovelled the driveway for 2 hours the other day. No heater while fueling the car, walking to the stores, going out to the car to warm it up...so bite me!!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Vasco,

If it helps any we have heat in GCS's on the boat. I went to my berth last night wearing all of the above last night. I am hoping this is truly my last winter above 20 degrees N, and I can move onto 7N forever.....i2f

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
We'll see you on Saturday or Sunday. We're breaking out of Charleston and heading to Vero tomorrow. It's almost 10 degrees warmer there than here!

·
236 Posts
I can sympathize! I am just down the road in Stuart I came here from Minnesota with one long sleaved shirt and one pair of pants. All the rest was short sleaves and shorts. Its been 35 degrees the last couple of nights and the people I live with don't want to turn on the heat as it has not been used it years and they don't want the smell of the gunk buildup burning off the elements to deal with. tomorrow it is supposed to be back up the 70s but the last couple of days are NOT what I signed up for. :)

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also would consider a heater off of the inboard engine, as most of the cruisers are motoring or motorsailing anyhow. It certainly would be an easy instalation. just like the heater in your car.
Yeah, a buddy of mine that makes the trip every year from Maine has a heat exchanger from the engine installed under his saloon settee. Last night I warmed up the cabin with four tea candles. Looked warm, anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If all you poor folks complaining about the cold temps are anchored out, you have my sympathy. I've had my share of cold nights up north, but, unlike Vasco, I never thought of putting on my wife's pantyhose.

For those of you tied up at the dock and complaining, hustle over to Walgreens, WalMart, etc. and pick up a $15 small quartz heater with a fan, plug it in, and feel your boat turn into a nice, cozy cocoon. Until then, quit ya bitchin'. LOL

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I am just hoping Vasco doesn't take a liking to those pantyhose.

I've got 2 small ceramic heaters on the boat, and we don't suffer in the middle of the night. We don't turn on the heaters until we get home from work, and that's about 7pm. I am jumping into bed about 9pm, so the bed is pretty chilly until I spread some of my mass around to warm it up....lolololol.....i2f

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Whine, whine, whine... at least the water is liquid where you are... We have ice in my marina... shore-to-shore, with the small exceptions of a couple pockets the bubblers have managed to keep ice free...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts