SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine coolant leaked over the winter.. from the engine water circulation pump (not raw water) I'm hoping if I top it off when the engine starts running again the leak will not be bad. if not.. guess it's time to order a new pump from tractor smart! Universal 5416 :(

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Engine coolant leaked over the winter.. from the engine water circulation pump (not raw water) I'm hoping if I top it off when the engine starts running again the leak will not be bad. if not.. guess it's time to order a new pump from tractor smart! Universal 5416 :(
I have never known a leak like this to get better with age.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Maybe, f you are lucky, the seal hardened up a bit over the winter, and as anti-freeze is really slippery stuff, a bit of leakage may not be too bad. Suggest you run it a bit before ripping the pump out. It may soften the seal up a bit & solve the leak, maybe? Nothing to lose unless it is gushing out.

Paul T

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's leaked a bit before. Maybe when it starts spinning again but it's not going to fix itself for sure!

It didn't loose allot of water, but enough it had me thinking the block cracked!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will check but with 100% antifreeze I would think not.

Seems like the right part number 15321-73032

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
checked the oil no water showing on the stick. just black as always. will "top it off" see what and how much drips .. still working on the electrical systems. Sigh.

5 30pm Just left the boat the leak was the weep hole of the pump. so far it's not leaking now.. will check again tomorrow.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
On a 30 + year old engine Paul?
Ah, just out of warrantee. I have no experience running 100%, just read about it. With a heat exchanger getting a constant supply of cool water, it probably doesn't matter.

Leaking out the weep hole? If it is out board of the seal you might be lucky & have the seal re-seat itself? Probably not, that would be too easy. :D

Paul T

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it's dripped down the front of the engine. seems ok for now will see how it goes when I get it running this week (maybe) I found the pump on Ebay quite cheap. But right now the wiring is taking all my attention.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Yes it's dripped down the front of the engine. seems ok for now will see how it goes when I get it running this week (maybe) I found the pump on Ebay quite cheap. But right now the wiring is taking all my attention.
"Cheap"?, well, best of luck. :D

Paul T

·
Banned
8,867 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
aaah nothing like those old water pumps with a greaseer that you squeezed every now and then to lube it all up...last for ages and ages and ages....

Reactions: newhaul

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
aaah nothing like those old water pumps with a greaseer that you squeezed every now and then to lube it all up...last for ages and ages and ages....
Oh yes, reminds me of when they used to sell "Water pump lubricant" in a can, looked like milk. With the introduction of ethylene glycol anti freeze, with anti-corrosion and other additives, I don't remember seeing it on the shelves for many years.

I had a 1992 Honda Accord, replaced the water pump while replacing the timing belt at a little over 100,000 miles "just because". It was not leaking. Sold it several years ago to a friend who put another 200,000 miles on the same water pump, no problems, still runs well and easily passes the California smog tests. I think he puts new tires on it every so often, nothing more, I guess you can get 200,000 miles, or more, out of a timing belt? :)

Paul T

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
Just a little note on antifreeze.

Some brands are "pre mixed". You can run these at 100%. Some brands are essentially pure ethylene glycol with some additives. DO NOT run these at more than recommended dilutions. Some brands, when too rich, will make a white precipitate which tends to ruin the conductivity of the heat exchanger, heater core, or radiator.

Use distilled water as required. It's cheap enough.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my dad used to put black pepper in the cooling systems to "stop leaks" LOL I worked

1 - 20 of 29 Posts