SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away at college and while I was gone we had a lot of heavy rain. This resulted in the bilge on my 40' Morgan overflowing about an inch above the cabin floor level. I pumped most of the water out, but the problem is the bilge also had oily sludge in it that I was planning on cleaning out. Now that oily sludge is literally everywhere, it is a disaster. So I am wondering what would be the best way to clean it up? Obviously I am going to properly dispose of, it isn't getting pumped overboard.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
LOTS of paper towels and Goo Gone or some other type of spray degrease that wont KILL YOUR lungs :)

My Cal 29 was disastrous when i got it and you do NOT want to generate liquid waste as it the most expensive to dispose of

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Show off! :p

·
Registered
830 Posts
Skim off most of the water, use paper towels to "filter" it. Sponge up what's left. Flor-Dri in commercial size bags will soak up the oil. Try Simple Green or mebbe Purple Power for the clean-up. Most of the "orange" products just smear the oil around DAMHIK ! :D

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Simple green (comes in bulk liquid or a spray). Excellent at cutting grease without being toxic. Smells good too. I am a fan of Goo-Gone, but I dont think it would be good for a big greasy project.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Home Depot's Zep brand degreasers are good.

·
2,445 Posts
I'd start with Palmolive. Mix some into a spray bottle with water. Mist it onto the area you want to clean, wait a few minutes then hit it with paper towels. Palmolive does a surprisingly good job cutting grease and oil and doesn't require you to wear protective gloves or a mask and it's unlikely to damage anything on your boat.

Only go to the heavy duty stuff if the simple solution doesn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts