SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My long-serving Volvo MD17c has developed an oil leak where it mounts to the crankcase.
The oil leak is rather slow and there is no pressure behind it. It tends to be seen collecting along the arrowed section in the picture.
There are no diesel leaks and the pump is reliable and works fine. The engine runs well.
I am loathe to disturb the pump in order to replace the gasket below the pump, as there are risks in breaking something vital in there and it will disturb the pump and it may need recalibrating. The pump is calibrated by shims spacers.

I wondered if I could run a bead of sealant around the outside of the pump.
I understand that I would have to get the boundary very clean indeed but I hear it has been done with the sump plates on motor vehicles.
What sealant is recommended?

Thanks....

McDowell

Attachments

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like a fuel manifold not a pump.
The manifold goes in to the
It is identified as the "Injector Pump" (page 35 item 3)
But strangely there is no information about it.
How to remove or reset.
Yes.
That's one of the reasons I don't want to disturb it.
The engine is currently running fine.
Imagine the horror of disturbing it, then when reassembled the engine runs rough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And what if it runs rough after I put it back together with a different gasket in there?
What then?
I have to disturb no less than 6 high pressure unions too.

Hi Rockner.
It would seem that you have two choices if you don't want to remove the upper pump housing.
1. Just keep wiping. That was how engines were maintained back in the old days.
2. A smear of Permatex (oil resistant gasket sealing compound) around the leakage area.
I have an old Yanmar that was leaking from where the governor shaft left the crankcase. It had worn oval and the o-ring didn't seal. A big job to strip down and bore out, so the previous owner smeared Permatex around the shaft/ crankcase joint. 5 years later it still looks ugly, but not leaking.

All the best

gary

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,835 Posts
I would bet that the leak is actually around one of the fuel lines. BTW, I believe that is a Bosch diesel injection pump.

It looks like someone was recently monkeying with the low pressure (supply) side. I would get a new gasket(s) for the banjo fitting, replace the gasket(s), retorque the bolt, and repaint the bolt.

If that doesn't solve the leak, I would carefully remove, clean, and inspect each high pressure fuel line (17mm) and reinstall and torque to 45 foot pounds.

Congrats on having a clean engine!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a standard cam driven injector pump if you remove it don't move or turn over the engine and you will be fine.
And what if it runs rough after I put it back together with a different gasket in there?
What then?
I have to disturb no less than 6 high pressure unions too.

Hi Rockner.
It would seem that you have two choices if you don't want to remove the upper pump housing.
1. Just keep wiping. That was how engines were maintained back in the old days.
2. A smear of Permatex (oil resistant gasket sealing compound) around the leakage area.
I have an old Yanmar that was leaking from where the governor shaft left the crankcase. It had worn oval and the o-ring didn't seal. A big job to strip down and bore out, so the previous owner smeared Permatex around the shaft/ crankcase joint. 5 years later it still looks ugly, but not leaking.

All the best

gary
SanderO :
I will try it.
"Permatex" it is then.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would bet that the leak is actually around one of the fuel lines. BTW, I believe that is a Bosch diesel injection pump.

It looks like someone was recently monkeying with the low pressure (supply) side. I would get a new gasket(s) for the banjo fitting, replace the gasket(s), retorque the bolt, and repaint the bolt.

If that doesn't solve the leak, I would carefully remove, clean, and inspect each high pressure fuel line (17mm) and reinstall and torque to 45 foot pounds.

Congrats on having a clean engine!

It is definitely oil oozing out of there, and not diesel.
There have been diesel leaks in the past but what is oozing out of there now is oil, rather black as at 55 hr, it needs changed.
I will try the Permatex solution.
I must get the outer boundary very clean indeed.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,835 Posts
Ooops, when you said "oil" I assumed that you meant fuel oil.

On a Universal Diesel, there is a gasket (shim) that goes between the injection pump and the block. The shim (gasket) costs ~$8 from a Kubota dealer.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooops, when you said "oil" I assumed that you meant fuel oil.

On a Universal Diesel, there is a gasket (shim) that goes between the injection pump and the block. The shim (gasket) costs ~$8 from a Kubota dealer.
What'll you bet the Volvo one(s) is/are different, and cost 10 times as much?
The old motor starts so consistently, and runs so well, I am loathe to mess with the injection pump settings.
We are vigilant with fuel clarity and the fuel in the bowl is (almost) always whisky-clear, and the tanks are new so that old motor has a decent future ahead of it.

In lifting the injection pump on an old motor, there is always a risk I will shear something vital, or it will leak worse on re-assembly.
Perhaps the sealant is the way to go and if it fails, just live with the leak and soak it up with a tethered rag, or something.

Thanks.

Rockter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar leak on a different Volvo engine and got advice from a retired Volvo mechanic. He said that the pump mounting flange distorts and causes an oil leak. I planned to remove the pump, file the flange flat and then add gasket. I didn't get to this before I sold the boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts