SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my boat it came with a dripless shaft log. The log had been installed roughly 15 years ago when the engine was changed from a Buhk to a Yanmar. What makes this shaftlog unusual is that it has a remotely mounted small reservoir that has lubricating oil in it and which is piped to a fitting on the shaft log. I have not been able to find any literature on a dripless shaft log that is rigged with a lubricant tank.

The boat did not come with any literature on the shaft log so I have no clue as to who made it and what I need to do to keep it alive and well. I When I bought the boat there was hypoid oil in the engine compartment, which I have been using to refill the reservoir when I notice it is down a bit. Last time I topped off the reservoir I noticed that there was water in the oil and of course that concerns me as well.

Anybody familiar with this system.

Jeff

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yo, Yo, Dudes.....You mean to tell me that with all the useless trivia that I dish out to you guys on a regular basis, no one, and I mean no one is going to impart even the slightest hint of wisdom or other modicum of tripe on this topic? Cheeeez Louise.

See if I answer when you ask me a question...Or for that matter, I will really get revenge and answer any question you ask.....

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Yo, Yo, Dudes.....You mean to tell me that with all the useless trivia that I dish out to you guys on a regular basis, no one, and I mean no one is going to impart even the slightest hint of wisdom or other modicum of tripe on this topic? Cheeeez Louise.

See if I answer when you ask me a question...Or for that matter, I will really get revenge and answer any question you ask.....
hang in their JH....I'm still trying to find out what a 'dripless shaft log' is. Once I've figured out that, I'll get back to you......

otoh....Taboo Restaurant in Surry Hills (Sydney) does a gob smackingly wonderful Tripes Lyonaisse, Marigold in Chinatown has tripe on their Yum Cha trolley's which is especially good and this very evening I am heading over to Crows Nest to check out the Burlington Bar's Shin of Veal with ragu of borlotti beans, tripe and tomato.

So don't despair, there is tripe a plenty out there, you just need to know where to look.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Wow...I really did not know that that thingamejig was called a shaft log.

Why log ?

I confess I was thinking that you had some kind of whizz bang oil lubricated gizmo for your knotmeter.....

huh....

anyway...I'm on the case....stand by.....(perhaps sit by or lie by may make mores sense...heaven knows how long this might take.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Jeff
I am not familiar with your setup, therefore I can only guess. The "drippless" I know are usually water lubricated.
But : On one of the big machines I am dealing with on my job on a daily base we have an oiler, that is similar to what you are describing. Essentially the oiler makes sure to keep a big shaft oiled. While on your boat the shaft is moving and the armatur (drippless shaft seal) is stationary, in my application the shaft is stationary and the armature is moving, but I guess that doesnt make a difference. And of course, we don't need to seal against water. Anyway if there is a fitting/ nipple soneone engineered it for lubrication and after working for you for so long, just keep it lubricated. We are using just oil used for airtools. Works for us, but of course it's nothing "marine", but it seams to serve a similar purpose. I assume, there is some kind of lining riding on the shaft that needs to kept oiled.
Just my 2 cents, trying to help.

Btw I just relocated from Florida to beautyful Annapolis and will (work related) stay for 2 years before I retire early to go cruising full time.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
On my mixing machines the oil cooled seals generally use TWO seals placed

seal < oil > seal

With the advantage being the machine can be run dry with OUT causing thermal shock and cracking the seal faces when the material is poured into the mixer BUT they do wear out and fail even the 7000 dollar German CHETRA ones :eek:

I have a guy at place called Gaddis Engineering Co. in Locust Valley, NY that makes me new faces in ANY material carbide ect when a big dollar one fails

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dripless shaft logs are basically mechanical seals used in pumps. There`s one, the BERKELEY DRY-RUN Seal, has an external oil reservoir like you describe. The idea is that oil on one side keeps the seal lubricated in case it`s being run dry on the other side, i.e., dry-run.

Normally water provides the lubrication on these things. Any oil is a far better lubricant than water. Oil and water would still be better than water alone.

The seal might have a bushing riding on the prop shaft to keep it centered. If so this bushing needs lubrication. Even in that case, any oil would be fine. Gear oil has extreme pressure additives that motor oil doesn`t, but nothing in there should be in high pressure physical contact.

If gear oil has worked for 15 years, it obviously works fine.

If the time comes that the seal wears enough to start leaking, pull it apart and take the mechanical seal parts to an industrial pump repair shop. They should be able to match up a replacement pretty easily.

Tim

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks! Who knew there was a special "Exxon Stern Tube Lube"?

While none of the equipment looks exactly like mine, I was amazed that there were so many devices out there.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Thanks folks! Who knew there was a special "Exxon Stern Tube Lube"?

While none of the equipment looks exactly like mine, I was amazed that there were so many devices out there.

Regards,
Jeff
Certainly not me but maybe I have just led a very sheltered life.....:eek:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'll add another to the list of ... similar... systems. My Nauticat's shaft log system is basically a standard looking threaded double sleeve set up - But with a grease fitting with a hose attached to a grease gun feeding the packing gland material. When I figured out.... duh.... :eek: that pumping in more grease should be done when the shaft is turning it does get fairly close to "dripless".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts