SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,930 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my boat it came with a dripless shaft log. The log had been installed roughly 15 years ago when the engine was changed from a Buhk to a Yanmar. What makes this shaftlog unusual is that it has a remotely mounted small reservoir that has lubricating oil in it and which is piped to a fitting on the shaft log. I have not been able to find any literature on a dripless shaft log that is rigged with a lubricant tank.

The boat did not come with any literature on the shaft log so I have no clue as to who made it and what I need to do to keep it alive and well. I When I bought the boat there was hypoid oil in the engine compartment, which I have been using to refill the reservoir when I notice it is down a bit. Last time I topped off the reservoir I noticed that there was water in the oil and of course that concerns me as well.

Anybody familiar with this system.

Jeff

· Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,930 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yo, Yo, Dudes.....You mean to tell me that with all the useless trivia that I dish out to you guys on a regular basis, no one, and I mean no one is going to impart even the slightest hint of wisdom or other modicum of tripe on this topic? Cheeeez Louise.

See if I answer when you ask me a question...Or for that matter, I will really get revenge and answer any question you ask.....

· Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,930 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks! Who knew there was a special "Exxon Stern Tube Lube"?

While none of the equipment looks exactly like mine, I was amazed that there were so many devices out there.

Regards,
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.