SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record with my threads. Let's just say we decided to bite the bullet again on another boat this afternoon. I think the offer may actually get to the listing broker in the morning though.

So maybe we'll hear something back tomorrow. I'm excited about the boat, but less positive about the process after our last experience. Fortunately, the last time we found out very early that there was something sketchy going on, so it didn't turn into a nightmare.

Hopefully, our offer will be accepted (at least keep us talking). I guess we'll see...I'll keep you updated. No pics or details of course until we have an agreement on the boat...

Thanks for letting me post a vague post with no real information! :D
-J
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Arrgghh! What is it! Something Pearson 33ish?

Say, I was aboard a nice S2 11.0a in Deale, MD this past weekend that was in good shape at a fair price. Too deep for our marina or we might have jumped on it.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arrgghh! What is it! Something Pearson 33ish?

Say, I was aboard a nice S2 11.0a in Deale, MD this past weekend that was in good shape at a fair price. Too deep for our marina or we might have jumped on it.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Hey Delirious, how are things going with that 31-2 in Annapolis? I hope all is well--I haven't been on Sailnet much over the past week due to business travel, so not sure if I missed anything. I ask because you say you were aboard an S2--are things still moving along with the 31-2?
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Yes, things are still moving. We visited the S2 and the 31-2 same day. Get out your velocity-made-good nomographs and slide rules and figure that one-day trip to Annapolis & Deale & home again. 640 miles in 18 hours with four hours on boats, one hour finding an ATM to pay the surveyor (who preferred cash) and 1-1/2 hour getting a nice oyster dinner. Thank God for caffiene.

We've got a landing spot and winter storage arranged, the funds transferred, three options for a slip in the spring, and the contacts to get the boat hauled, prepped and transported. Just trying to arrange a back-haul to save on transport $$$ and the owner to get the boat to the lift prior to that.

A few more gray hairs for sure.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, things are still moving. We visited the S2 and the 31-2 same day. Get out your velocity-made-good nomographs and slide rules and figure that one-day trip to Annapolis & Deale & home again. 640 miles in 18 hours with four hours on boats, one hour finding an ATM to pay the surveyor (who preferred cash) and 1-1/2 hour getting a nice oyster dinner. Thank God for caffiene.

We've got a landing spot and winter storage arranged, the funds transferred, three options for a slip in the spring, and the contacts to get the boat hauled, prepped and transported. Just trying to arrange a back-haul to save on transport $$$ and the owner to get the boat to the lift prior to that.

A few more gray hairs for sure.
Great to hear things are moving along, but I got tired just reading that post (about your trip)!

We have received a counter offer from the sellers, so at least we're still talking! No official agreement yet, but I'm still hopeful. Stay tuned...
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, in the interests of keeping this up-to-date, I thought I'd hop on and let you know that we've submitted a counter offer back to the listiing broker. I think we adjusted our offer enough to keep the conversation going, but I don't know if it will be accepted or not. As always, we'll see! Sure would be nice! More info to come... :)
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Again - good luck!
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This just in...

Our offer was accepted today! So we're buyin' a boat! :D

Of course, next we go to survey and we'll see how things go. Hopefully nothing serious will come up.

I'm not sure it's really sunk in that this is happening, but my wife and I are really excited.
Thanks!
-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
Our offer was accepted today! So we're buyin' a boat! :D

Of course, next we go to survey and we'll see how things go. Hopefully nothing serious will come up.

I'm not sure it's really sunk in that this is happening, but my wife and I are really excited.
Thanks!
-J
Congrats! Ask the broker for the previous survey and have it faxed / emailed whatever prior to your scheduled survey date. Trust me it arms you with questions to ask and is an aide to the surveyor as well...

Best of luck!
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
43,289 Posts
Details? Photos?? :)
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
43,289 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you understand... :)
Ha ha! Yes, I understand.

Survey is set for Monday morning. Weather, so far, looks good, but it's a bit early yet. Should be 60 degrees and mostly sunny. Of course, when speaking of weather predictions, I always say, "THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW."

We'll see...

I'm just hoping the boat comes out with no major issues. I'll be prepared to walk away if needed, but I'd really rather this one turn out to be a great boat. :)
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Survey tomorrow morning...wish us luck! The weather is supposed to be in the 60s, some sun, some clouds, and winds about 5 - 10 knots. I wouldn't mind a bit more wind for the sea trial, but I suppose at this time of year at least it's not 40 degrees and raining!

I'll report back after the survey...thanks again for all of your help.
-J
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Good luck.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No luck!!!

Well, the survey was today, and we didn't even get through it before we called it off and walked away from the deal. Blisters covered the entire bottom of the boat, even the keel. My surveyor said it would need a full peel, at least two layers of laminate deep--nothing you can "spot" fix. So we walked. It seems like we can't catch a break! We don't believe the listing broker knew about the blisters (just based on his reaction), though I don't know if the sellers did or did not (no evidence either way).

I guess the good news is that because we did a survey (as we should), we found this out in the process and can walk away. Still a big bummer though.

SOOOOOO, back to the drawing board again, looking for a boat... :(
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
43,289 Posts
Josrulz-

Sorry to hear the bad news... It would have been nice if the broker/owners had been open and upfront about the blistering, since that's generally a deal killer...

At this point I'd highly recommend you use the following POST when checking boats out, so you can get rid of the turkeys before paying a surveyor... :) It is really why I wrote that post.
 

·
Unpaid Intern
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Josrulz-

Sorry to hear the bad news... It would have been nice if the broker/owners had been open and upfront about the blistering, since that's generally a deal killer...

At this point I'd highly recommend you use the following POST when checking boats out, so you can get rid of the turkeys before paying a surveyor... :) It is really why I wrote that post.
Thanks sailingdog for the link to your post. All great information in there. I'm not sure it would make a difference in this case, since the boat appeared to be well-maintained in all other respects, and when we visited it, we went over it in great detail (with many pics and notes). It was one of the better-maintained boats we seen. Today, with the survey partially done, the boat was doing quite well. If not for the bottom, we probably would have still had a deal. And most importantly, I don't know how we could have known about the blisters without hauling the boat. We flat out asked about that before we made an offer on the boat, and the owners said there were none when it was last hauled (this is technically possible, though we'll never know for sure). Thanks again, sailingdog...now back to the search!
-J
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top