SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I joined this forum a couple months ago and haven't done much with it, between work and kids and life just being full of stuff to do, but here goes.

I started with the screen name somedayhopefully since that was where my sailing aspirations rested at the time. My wife, though, jumped into the idea fully and has been shopping for boats ever since. She found a boat at the right price, and we decided to jump rather than talking about it and sitting on the idea forever without acting. On July 4th, we bought a 1976 Pearson 26' from e-bay. This isn't the boat of either of our dreams, but we decided to get something good enough for now, and get out there and start sailing.

The following Saturday we took possession of it, checked it out and did some clean-up and made a preliminary list of stuff we would need to make it cruise-worthy. Today was the official shakedown cruise, and apart from a couple of more things to take care of (the main sheet has a nasty fray in it that keeps it from playing all the way out when you want to run with the wind, and the outboard is missing the pin that gives you motor height settings between 'raised' and 'all the way down', both of which are easy fixes to be done this week) I've declared it seaworthy.

Next weekend I'm taking it from its current home in Long Beach down to Dana Point, which will be the first real ocean cruise I've ever done. I know that isn't much to experienced cruisers, but it's a big step for me, and quite frankly I'm a bit nervous.

Anyway, I realize this was a long-winded and rambling introduction, but I'm wired and exhausted and excited right now, so I had to get on here and let some of it out. Besides, the fact the I now have a boat sort of negates my forum name... ah well, I'll go ahead and stick with the name anyway, to remind myself that it's better to get out there and do it than keep thinking about it, if nothing else.

I look forward to many years of good correspondence here, and I look forward to meeting the folks who hang out here!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hiya SomeDay,
Well done with the first step. I've something similar, just a little further along than you - We still get wired and exhausted etc. Have fun and enjoy the cruise - how long is that going to be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
kudos for buying the boat even tho realizing it isn't the perfect or final boat. at least you're getting out there and enjoying the water. sailing is about the water anyway. the boat is just a means to the end. we need to take a cue from you.

have fun and be happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.