SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well knowing the weather would be great i decided to go sailing. we shipped out at about 2 pm on friday headed to rock hall md. first we had to motor up wind in around 15 knots of wind to clear the inner harbor baltimore area. once i got out to the channels to the bay up went the sails. i started with the jib up and the main on a reef. after i got past the key bridge i shook the reef out. great sailing on a starboard tack all the way across the bay, until, why is there always an until. as we approached rock hall, i was a little north of it due to the wind and not wanting to tack, stayed starboard the whole way. once on the eastern side of the bay i pulled the sails down and motored south to swan creek, and tried to get lucky and cut across the shoals. well lets say a 3 foot 3 draft and the shoals outside of swan creek dont mix, after a few bumps i went a little further south. tied up in moonlight bay marina, not much of a marina but for a buck a foot it would do. saturday we walked around rock hall, checked out a few of the BS little museums and stores. went back to the boat for dinner and cards, then sleep. sunday woke up and got out side the shoals and up went the sails, with out much wind, so motor sailed it was on a reach. once in side the key bridge the wind picked up, which is the opposite of normal. kept motoring home and here i am sun burned and in the AC.

lets here your reports

btw saturday night we had some great thunder storms i stood with my head out the companion way for an hour watching the lightning and listening to the vhf. its amazing how many calls we heard for grounded boats, mostly power ones, and most of the calls where sailboats calling the coast guard notifying them of the grounded boats

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Today's forecast for Buzzards Bay from the NWS:

(7/9) Latest NWS Marine FX by KBOX
Valid through 4/27/2009 4:30 AM local time.

buzzards bay-
432 pm edt sun apr 26 2009

.tonight...ne winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt...becoming
e 5 to 10 kt after midnight. seas 1 to 2 ft.
.mon...se winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts
up to 20 kt in the afternoon. seas around 2 ft.
.mon night...s winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt...
becoming sw 5 to 10 kt after midnight. seas around 2 ft. patchy
fog. vsby 1 nm or less.
.tue...sw winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt in the
afternoon. seas 2 to 3 ft. patchy fog in the morning with vsby
1 nm or less.
.tue night...sw winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming w after midnight.
gusts up to 25 kt. seas 2 to 3 ft. a chance of showers and tstms
after midnight.
.wed...n winds around 15 kt...becoming ne in the afternoon. gusts
up to 20 kt. seas 1 to 2 ft. a chance of showers and tstms in the
morning.
.wed night...se winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming n after midnight.
seas 1 foot or less.
.thu...ne winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming se 10 to 15 kt with gusts
up to 20 kt in the late afternoon and overnight. seas 1 foot or
less.
.fri...s winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt... becoming sw
with gusts up to 30 kt after midnight. seas 1 to 2 ft...building
to 3 to 5 ft after midnight. a chance of showers.

winds and seas higher in and near tstms.

this product is normally issued twice daily at approximately 4 am
and 4 pm...and updated as conditions warrant.

</pre>

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but SD did you go sailing?

also are you in the buzzard bay area? my family is from the yarmouthport area, in fact my grandfather to the 13 power founded yarmouth port

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yes, the boat is in Fairhaven, and no, the boat is being splashed tomorrow. :) was down at the marina working on it... will be staying aboard tonight most likely. :)

but SD did you go sailing?

also are you in the buzzard bay area? my family is from the yarmouthport area, in fact my grandfather to the 13 power founded yarmouth port

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I went out Saturday evening from 4 pm till 9 pm everything was great 10 to 15 knts. near Thomas point. My big until was when then wind changed all my fishing poles got tangled. The bigger surprise was that on sunday my wife and friend stole the boat while I was golfing. That was a first for them so wacth out there are a few pirates on the bay.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Our first sailboat's maiden voyage

Our friends hauled her over for us yesterday and we put in and motored to home berth. Then we sailed our first sailboat on her maiden voyage and our first sailing on a keel boat today on Yaquina Bay. She's a 1982 Laguna Balboa 24 renamed "Eastwind".

I'm going to put up a seperate post with some pics (I hope).
Mike

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thursday: Sailed home from work with dad on his Catalina 36. Wing/wing, then a broad reach, making 4.2-4.7 knots. This is the way to commute.

Saturday: Sailed/motorsailed Hunter Passage 42 to return her to her slip after she was out on a half-day charter. Genoa only since I was singlehanded. Got to turn the motor off for a few minutes, but fired back up once boatspeed headed south of 4 knots, wanted to get to the dock before dark. (Boy will a little bit of breeze on the beam blow that sucker around! Have to get used to dealing with the windage on this one.)

Sunday: afternoon sail with a buddy and his girl on his Hunter 37 (1980 model). First time I'd been on board, and while she's got a few issues, she's nice for what he uses her for, which is casual coastal/river sailing. We had a beam reach all the way and just enjoyed the sunshine.

More sailing than I did most of last summer put together, and I loved every minute! The weather was gorgeous, we had a pretty steady 10-15 knot breeze, and there were lots of people out on the Pamlico shaking out the cobwebs, power and sail alike.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Friday---A newbie sailing friend put his new to him Endeavour 35 in the water after having it hauled for bottom paint. We had a few minor engine issues but sailed out of a narrow channel into open water and fixed the problem. Motored around awhile before heading back to the slip.

Saturday---Wife and I went out with our friend on his E35. Had a nice sail over to St John, did a little snorkeling before sailing back at sunset.

Sunday---(Not sailing but boat related:))Watched the annual Carnival powerboat races on the waterfront in the harbor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts