SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I''ve been offered an 18 yr old 26'' fibreglass racer, and certain areas of the deck nr the cockpit and chainplates flex when I step on them. There are no visible cracks or weird noises, and while I don''t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, I''d like to know how significant a problem this is likely to be. Any thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Methinks core rot. Can be difficult/time consuming to fix. Might want to get a surveyor with a moisture meter to check it out.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to WEST MARINE and get a free copy of the WEST SYSTEM fiberglass repair manual. It will answer all of your questions concerning delamination and its cure.
Some repairs are easy and straight forward if you are handy,ie drilling holes in the area and using a vacuum to suck out the water and injecting epoxy, some more complex as in cutting out the inside area and replacing it with plywood and glassing over.
It''s all covered in plain english and you should be able to determine if it is something you want to tackle.
Don''t let a good boat go because of a little work... Good luck..JEF

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you see no cracks or holes in the deck, it should not be rot, its probably just not a strong deck. Its easy to fix. make access to the underside of the deck where it flexs, sand it back, cut some hose in half ( normal garden hose ) and glass it in place under he deck. You will probably need to do at least 3 times about 1 foot apart. Use at least 4 layers of glass ( woven ) and use epoxy resin. It is really easy, i had no fiberglasing experience, but after working on my own fiberglass boat, it becomes second nature. Look up some books by Don Casey..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts