SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never polished or waxed my 1981 S2 sailboat because looks just don’t matter much to me. However, the chalking of the ancient gelcoat can be embarrassing when it rains or when someone sits on it in dark pants. Major portion of the deck is very aggressive deeply patterned anti-skid that cannot be polished anyway. If I was to polish the seats to remove the chalking, how would I reduce further chalking without having to wax it every year.
I simply refuse to wax a vehicle and in fact have never even washed my own truck as I have better things to do. Is there a coating that can be used to seal the surface that will not require waxing? I don’t care about looks, I am just tired of the chalking.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you refuse to wash your car,i don't know if sailing is the right hobby for you
Why...a boat doesn't need to be clean to sail it;)

To the OP...get some of that starbrite full strength deck cleaner. Follow the directions and your deck should be spiffy in no time without any real elbow grease

·
Registered
845 Posts
However, the chalking of the ancient gelcoat can be embarrassing when it rains or when someone sits on it in dark pants.
Your embarassed?

Must be because you are thinking of what's running thru the minds of the people with you.
What's their thoughts?

If you trully don't mind then it doesn't matter what they think.

Or;
get some rubbing compound out and buff that baby and throw some Nu-finish on there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Poly glow is the way to go. It is a clear acrylic coating that looks really good and lasts way better than Wax. I have never been able to figure out why people work their butts off with rubbing compound removing all their jell coat. it gives total uv protection and will make your boat shine like new. be sure to follow directions if you decide to use it.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Cautionary about poli glo: if you ever want to remove it it is extremely tough to do so. It will look streaky and if you go to sell the boat, it will become a negative at a time when it is hard enough to sell a boat. Ask me how I know...

Tod

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd use poliglow as its much easier than the wet sand, compound, polish, and wax routine. I use it on my boat and thus far in 5 years of use on two boats I've yet to experience any yellowing or streaking. It is however very tough to remove, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cautionary about poli glo: if you ever want to remove it it is extremely tough to do so. It will look streaky and if you go to sell the boat, it will become a negative at a time when it is hard enough to sell a boat. Ask me how I know...

Tod
I've not had that problem. Having removed it for re-coat several times with the poly prep remover. Not saying you didn't have a problem with it. just wondering why. Did you scrub all the old chalking off with poly prep before the first application? It is important to follow the directions

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Yes, I followed the directions when applying it. At first, the boat looked great. Eventually, it started to look streaky because the poly glo would wear off unevenly. When I went to sell the boat (unrelated to the poly glow issue) no matter how many times I used the poly prep remover, I couldn't remove all of the poly glow, causing the boat to look streaky in the spots where it resistantly hung on. The prospective buyers noticed and I'd come back and try some more. The boat sold and I use Scotchguard on my latest boat with better results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use finesse 2 to get rid of the chaulking problem
this is also a 3m product
Here again you have to rub out the hull each year. this removes some gel coat each year. in time you will have fiberglass matting showing through. At this point it will be time for a very expensive paint job.

Here's how I see it!!

For the first 10 or 15 years you can just wash the boat and wax it and it will shine up and look beautiful. After that it will have enough UV damage where you will start rubbing it out each year to get it to shine up with wax. At this point I start using Poly Glow. it offers 100% protection from UV and the gel coat will last for many decades to come and the boat will continue to shine like new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts