SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have scoured the internet looking for a replacement oil pan for a westerbeke w30(4-91). No luck. Has anyone here had to deal with something like this? I have a feeling I will have to fabricate my own unless I can find someone parting out their old engine.
EDIT
Also, I had a bit of oil spray out of the valve cover breather on this engine. Hoping someone here has had previous experiences with this so I dont waste too much time crawling around under the cockpit of the boat. Thanks

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
That's going to be a tough one. I think it is a marinized British Leyland engine, so you might want to look for tractors or other industrial equipment that used them. Probably not a lot of those in the US.

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's going to be a tough one. I think it is a marinized British Leyland engine, so you might want to look for tractors or other industrial equipment that used them. Probably not a lot of those in the US.

Mark
Yeah, it is the marinized British Leyland if I remember correctly. I tried a wide variety of keywords and searches without much luck. Luckily I dont actually need it at the moment but I see a repair was made to the one I have right now, and wanted to replace it, which led me down this rabbithole.

·
Master Mariner
8,759 Posts
Yeah, it is the marinized British Leyland if I remember correctly. I tried a wide variety of keywords and searches without much luck. Luckily I dont actually need it at the moment but I see a repair was made to the one I have right now, and wanted to replace it, which led me down this rabbithole.
It took me months to find a rotary drive motor for my autopilot and a friend in Scotland suggested I try the commercial fishing sites in the UK. I had a brand new 30 year old part in my hand withing a week!
As for oil out the breather, that could be rings or push rod seals.

Reactions: Brandon Davis

·
Registered
322 Posts
Can't confirm, but have read elsewhere that Westerbeke will custom manufacture parts that have since been discontinued. Can only imagine the cost...

·
Registered
22,642 Posts
replacement oil pan
What's the condition of the pan? Perhaps there is a repair.

a bit of oil spray out of the valve cover breather
First thing I think of is worn rings and poor compression.

Sounds like you have a motor past it's prime. What the story? Is it in your current boat, a boat you're buying?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the condition of the pan? Perhaps there is a repair.

First thing I think of is worn rings and poor compression.

Sounds like you have a motor past it's prime. What the story? Is it in your current boat, a boat you're buying?
The oil pan has been repaired in the past apparently. It looks like someone used JB Weld to patch a hole or a section that may have rusted away or something, not sure. I didnt notice any water in the oil currently when checked, so that is good at least. I am OK with running the repair, I just was on the hunt for a replacement and realized how difficult it would be to find a replacement. I did find a tractor shop in WI though who seems to be fairly knowledgeable about these old engines. They are able to order one from Europe. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend the money, because I have a feeling the replacement will be quite expensive. I can imagine a custom made order would be quite a lot.

The engine starts right up everytime and it has never spewn oil before. The amount spewed out was very minimal and it has only done it once. I started the engine on accident with it throttled up a bit and I suspect that this is what caused the blow-by and such a small amount of it. The contracted metals I believe would cause excessive momentary blow-by. Or maybe this is flawed thinking, and it would get worse when warmed, from the expansion of the metals?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think that you will find that the w30 is based on the BMC/Leyland 1.5 liter (1500) diesel which was used in delivery vans, London black cabs, tractors, etc. It was also converted for marine and narrow boat use by Thornycroft as the T90 . It uses the B series block which was also used in 1.2 to 1.8 petrol (gas) engines used in many cars such as Austin, Morris, MG. Oil pans are one of the things easily changed for engines to fit in different applications, so no idea if they are the same. B series have been out of production for a while and although some parts are still available but you will be lucky to find a new oil pan because they rarely need replacing. Googling “BMC Leyland marine” will turn up several places in the U.K. that you might contact. Boatshop24 sells used Thornycroft engines. I would remove it, clean it up and have it repaired properly – it can probably be welded. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Reactions: Brandon Davis

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that you will find that the w30 is based on the BMC/Leyland 1.5 liter (1500) diesel which was used in delivery vans, London black cabs, tractors, etc. It was also converted for marine and narrow boat use by Thornycroft as the T90 . It uses the B series block which was also used in 1.2 to 1.8 petrol (gas) engines used in many cars such as Austin, Morris, MG. Oil pans are one of the things easily changed for engines to fit in different applications, so no idea if they are the same. B series have been out of production for a while and although some parts are still available but you will be lucky to find a new oil pan because they rarely need replacing. Googling “BMC Leyland marine” will turn up several places in the U.K. that you might contact. Boatshop24 sells used Thornycroft engines. I would remove it, clean it up and have it repaired properly – it can probably be welded. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Do you think it would be easy to remove from a cal 34-3? I thought it would be super hard to get out because of the space constraints with everything else all around it!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea but I would expect that you would have to lift the engine. In that you are looking for a replacement, I assumed that you had a plan. I wish I could be more helpful.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Those Cal's, AFAIK , used a V drive. Pulling out the engine might be interesting. If you go that route, might as well rebuild everything associated with the drive train while you are at it........
:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I have no idea but I would expect that you would have to lift the engine. In that you are looking for a replacement, I assumed that you had a plan. I wish I could be more helpful.
Im going to be changing the engine mounts soon but I am hoping to disturb things as little as possible. I have a feeling to get enough clearance to get the pan out might be more difficult than it sounds. I do have a V drive. Definitely not interested in redoing everything at this point 😅

·
Registered
22,642 Posts
......it has never spewn oil before. The amount spewed out was very minimal and it has only done it once.
Then I would look no further, for now. The breather is designed to breath. It will push some amount of oil, even if it's just accumulated over time. Just monitor. Good luck with the oil pan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then I would look no further, for now. The breather is designed to breath. It will push some amount of oil, even if it's just accumulated over time. Just monitor. Good luck with the oil pan.
I appreciate the reassurance. I cant help but be bothered by it though😂

·
Registered
438 Posts
You might try the British car enthusiasts bulletin boards. They spend even more time than sailors looking for old parts. May be people there who know about parts for this motor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts