SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1975 chrysler c22. It came with 5 sails, of which all are stained and look hideous. Its not rust stains but something else???...not sure what it is...brown in color. Ive tried commet, barkeepers, and a couple different rust removers with no luck. Any advice???

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, we have a cockpit cover just like that...(it's very old). We've decided it's easier to stain it brown....seriously. A lot easier than trying to take the stain out. Good luck.

Moe
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
oil will laugh at almost anything and looks brown if not dirty, lighter fluid works well thou. might just try a soak in the tub with a little bleach and tide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i might just have to color them brown...i HATE the idea, but they are that bad...how would i do that?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wait. Can you dye sails? I want to tie dye my sails! Would that be bad for the cloth? Enlighten me oh wise ones who hath ruined thine sails once before.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
LOL,
Try the experts at sailcare.
They will examine them and let you know exactly where you stand, but like Solomons has said, chances are they are blown out.

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Fill the tub with water that you can just barely put you hands in without getting burnt. Add a scoop or two of tide. Insert sail. Swish the sail around every 15 minutes or so for an hour. Add more hot water. repeat swishing every 15 minutes for another hour. Drain tub. You will be surprised how dirty the water is. Add more hottish water. Swish sail around, drain. Add water one more time. swish and drain. Hang sail on the clothes line or over a fence and hose off (both sides). Let dry.

They should be much cleaner now. I have done this twice. Made a huge difference.

Eric

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do what AllThumbs says, but also put something heavy (bucket of water, for example) on them. Dacron floats. Also, real TSP from a hardware store works very well and won't harm the dacron. Do not use bleach, whatever minimal stiffness these sails have will disappear. Also, Dacron won't absorb Rit type dye. It has to be added in the manufacturing process. But best suggestion of all, get a quote from FX Sails or some such. New sails will make your boat better in every way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did the bath tub thing last with with detergent...no luck. going to get some real TSP and try it.

Looking more like im going to have to buy new sails.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TSP is the ticket...this stuff really works well, and i tried just about everything else!!! Thanks guys!!! saved me $2500 in new sails!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts