SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to make some furniture out of old sails. Just recently bought a house near the water, and would love to take my sailing home with me! Just wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get some old (unusable for sailing) sails from. I would love to try an get colorful sails, like spinnaker sails? Any advice appreciated. Just trying to make stuff know out of as much reusable material. Thanks!

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Congratulation on your purchase of a home near the water and welcome to sailnet! Now all you need is a sailboat. :)

Regular dacron sailing material is very stiff and unfriendly to the hand (or buttocks). It is MUCH more stiff, cold, and slippery than you might imagine. If the sail is very very well worn it may be a little bit softer, but then it may be stained and discolored from age. Nylon spinnaker cloth may work well for what you have in mind.

Baconsails in Maryland, or MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE on the west coast are the biggest used sail sellers.

MedSailor

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
To be clear, are you looking for a source for free sails?

·
Registered
135 Posts
from what i understand she doesnt want to sail with them. she wants to convert them to interior decoration

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
from what i understand she doesnt want to sail with them. she wants to convert them to interior decoration
Yes. I understood that part. But most people who post here who want used sails for bags, decoration, or whatever, expect to find them for free. That's why I wanted to clarify upfront so more people don't recommend other places like Bacon.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Cost of shipping may exceed the value of stuff. Location??? I've got a basement chocka block with stuff including old spinnaker .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to use them to make seat covers out of. So nylon would probably be better than dacron? I am based in New York. Thanks for all the advice so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts