SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a high school student in the Houston, Texas area and am looking for old or unusable sails. I plan on making the sails into shirt pockets for an online business. Any sails should work. Thank You

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Good for you!!!!
If you haven't already been there, consider to put up some posters, etc. of your message in the Kemah, Tx. area marinas.

Good Luck and best wishes for your budding entrepreneurship to turn out to be a roaring success. ;-)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just a quick thought .... you might want to contact those who deal in used sails in your nearby areas as they usually discard the 'non-movers' of their inventory.

Ditto on contacting some of your local sail lofts to possibly acquire 'scrap' from new sails being made and which is normally thrown away, etc.

Good luck, be a bulldog ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, again for the info. I have been e-mailing many sailing clubs and marinas but not many have responded.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
FWIW -
People and companies are inundated with nuisance emails; most emails probably are lost within the 'delete' button.
Nothing beats an appointment and a face to face sit down if you 'really' want something.
You won't ever know if you don't steadfastly try.

BTW/FWIW - when speaking to/with any 'business' or organization try to 'start' with the 'top' person, as that person is usually the best first contact and will either refer you to (the correct) others in the business or he/she will shut the door - and for the least amount of your time wasted.
When you are referred by 'the boss', those below in the hierarchy will take notice because the implication is that: 'the boss is interested'. Example - "Mrs Scrap Sail Material Manager, I was speaking with your boss, Mrs. Sail Loft, and she recommended I speak with you" - is a POWERFUL entry to 'get things done'.
Don't start your contact at 'the bottom'.
Even with eMails, first find out the name of 'the boss' and then send your email to 'the boss'. If no reply then 'follow-up'. ;-)

Once you get 'started' with your production, etc., ...... I'll make the bet that your local Chamber of Commerce can also help you and give you good advice. Most chambers of commerce in the remaining 'productive' areas of the country still have 'Junior Achievement Programs' set up especially to help and advise enthusiastic 'self starter' folks like yourself to accomplish their dreams.

Be a bulldog! Luck doesn't happen, you 'make' your own luck; but, .........
GOOD LUCK and best wishes to you anyway !!!!! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts