SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Sell or Trade?

It would help to describe them. What kind of boat and the age of the sails are important. There are a lot of sites you could sell them from or you could sell them on ebay.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
And where are you located? I'm not shipping in old sails from Antarctica!

Condition?
Stains?
Stiffness?

·
19,489 Posts
I took mine to a marine consignment store.... even if they never sell, I don't have to store them!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Donations

If there is a sailing club in your area, you might consider donating the sails. It helps both you and the club; the club gets the sails for free and you get a nice tax writeoff without having to haggle over price. I'm a member of a club like this and it's generally the only way we can afford to get 'new' (to us) sails.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
:) I have an old sail "for sale" at Bacons in Annapolis. They had it for about 5 years now, and no buyers :) Same situation for majority of other old sails. I think at some point they trash whatever did not sell.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
:) I have an old sail "for sale" at Bacons in Annapolis. They had it for about 5 years now, and no buyers :) Same situation for majority of other old sails. I think at some point they trash whatever did not sell.
Yeah, after reading Faster's post above I took his advice and "stored" our old sails there too. Technically, they are "for sale".

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you don't think you can sell the sails (or, alternatively, if you don't think you'll get much money for them), one alternative is to donate them to a non-profit organization. This has the benefit of helping the organization in question and also getting you a tax writeoff.

There are a number of non-profit sailing organizations out there. The one I am a part of, Hoofer Sailing (a part of the University of Wisconsin), is always looking for keelboat sails in reasonable condition. My understanding is that most non-profits handle donations in similar fashion, so feel free to check out the details at Wisconsin Hoofers :: Contact :: Donations

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Ambiance and I hooked up back in January. I'm picking up the old sails from him in July. I want to experiment with them, including testing to see what size anchor sail I need.

Regards

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I would save a Main and make a "anchoring sail" out of it. Keep you from swinging while moored with one anchor off the bow. Check out link.

J30 Class Association: The Parking Sail
Great link. That's what I was thinking. Our Beneteau 50 dances at anchor. It's a bit unnerving.

Only I'm not sure what size to make the anchor sail. It will take some experimenting.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bene—

The reason your boat dances at anchor is well explained HERE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want old sails!

Hello:

I know this thread dropped awhile ago, but I would love any old sails! I use them for other creative projects.

Thank you so much!

-Julie

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
SD --- everyone should read that article about anchoring from the stern. makes me appreciate the canoe stern on my nimble 30 express,

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Yeah, after reading Faster's post above I took his advice and "stored" our old sails there too. Technically, they are "for sale".
Well, it turns out our old 130 genoa is no longer in "storage". It sold.

Bacon's essentially came up with an initial asking price (somewhere in the mid $300's, I think), which would get reduced incrementally over a period of time until it sold.

I can't even remember what the agreement was for splitting the sale price, but they sent me a check for about $85. Free storage and they sent me a check!:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Don't know what to do with your old sails?

Hi! If you don´t know what to do with your old sails and you want to sale, or donate them, please contact me!

I will pay for shipping or arrange fo sail pick-up!

Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts