SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Old Salt (?) becomes new member from Australia

929 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nk235 
#1 ·
Hi all of you out there ashore and afloat.

Unfortunately I am currently ashore, in cruising terms, but still keep my toes in the water day sailing and social racing in Darwin which is located @ the top of Australia & about as close to the equator as you can get in this country.(approx 12.25 deg Sth /131 deg East)

I'm 63 years old, married (2nd go) with a 15year old son. Have spent almost every waking moment of my life in/on/or around yachts and the water. Started in New Zealand at 6yrs of age sailing a 2.4 mtr skiff on a lake, progressed through various classes til I graduated to keel boats.

For the last 40 odd years, after my apprentiship, have worked as a shipwright and for the last 25 for myself in NZ, Indonesia, and Australia.

Got sick and tired of crawling into dirty/small spaces and handling 2 pack products so sold out and retired 2000. Though still assist friends and (especially) visiting yachties to Darwin - If you ever head this way contact is <cecarrsmith@hotmail.com>

Have pretty extensive knowledge of most things you might want to know (Except engines) with Timber,Fibreglass, Alloy, Steel construction. and in Darwin can point you in the right direction (No cost - except the Aussie tradition of a cold beer?)

Without any formal training within that field I have sucessfully re- configured several keel shapes on racing yachts, within their rating rules and can claim a contribution to a Sydney- Hobart winner.

I believe that I can offer sensible advise re rigging problems

My love of sailing however remains with blue water sailing and this has been primarily cruising on own boats or as delivery skipper. Since mid 60's have spent extensive time in Sth Pacific - especially Cook, Fijian, New Caledonian, Samoan, Gilbert & Ellice Islands and all in between. Have completed 23 Trans Tasmans - 14 delivering H28s manufactured in NZ - Up to the last however in 110ft motor sailer which was far more comfortable.(This is after all one of the 7 roughest stretches of water in the world)

Feel that I have waffled on far too long. Lets leave it with the fact that I could add another couple of paragraphs on the years living and sailing in SE Asia .

More interested in promoting the simple concept of getting bums onto seats in sail boats - 10ft or 100ft - who cares - Old Salt, Novice, Keen to continue and wants to learn more, or out there for the first time.

Thats what is important

If I can assist - I'd love to

Cheers from the far North of Australia and if you are in this part of the world, please contact.

Chriscs

See less See more
#2 ·
G'day Chris - welcome to SN, dude. Sounds like you're bringing some great experience aboard.

Now, before people start hounding you about how to rig a reef line, let me be the first to ask - what's the worst weather you've ever been through on a sailboat?

Cheers.

#3 ·
Your question is very open to interpretation because Ive actually delivered a boat through a cyclone (170knts) and whilst very scared, on reflection thought it most exhilarating. On the other hand my wife and I were becalmed for 10 days in the Indian Ocean, now that stinks.

#4 ·
Holy crap, man! If I were to choose between the two stories - I'll take the cyclone. Sounds like a serious BFS to me!

As you'll find, that are several of us around here that get a kick out of talking about sailing in extreme conditions. And it's always great to get an old salt's perspective on things such as tactics, lessons learned, the "exhilarating" side of it, - etc.

There are a couple of threads that you might find interesting in this regard:

Heavy Weather Sailing
Big Freakin' Sails

And, of course, the perennial favorite:

Rum Enjoyment

Welcome aboard. And have fun.

#7 ·
That would be a longneck Brian. :)

Welcome Chris. I'm the downunderer he speaks of but Sydney's a long way from Darwin.

I trust you enjoy the place, as I trust you enjoy Darwin. I was up there a long time back now but hope to be dropping in some time in not to distant future. From what I'm told, Darwin's come a long way from the '70s .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.