SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 15+ year old SciTech speed paddle in my hull and an DMI depth transducer of similar vintage. The head unit on the SciTech is junk and both predate NMEA.

Is there any cost-effective way to make them talk to my other NMEA compatible eqipment?

Is this why they say sailors are cheap? :)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The transducers may still be good and may be compatible with other displays, since many companies use OEM transducers made by Airmar.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Craiglist or ebay them. Often there is someone who is looking for a part to make their existing setup last a bit longer...

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Or do as I did several years ago when I installed a new instrument system overall. Keep them as an emergency back-up. I sometimes use the old depth sounder when at anchor so I can keep a watch at my depth from below decks and it has a good depth alarm that I use also in that situation. I seldom use the speed log but do at times to help my crew monitor how we are doing with speed as my primary is only visible from the helm.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have on one boat a working Seamaster (?) III cathode ray "ring" type and a digital Eagle fishfinder.

If the old one didn't work, I'd give it away for spare parts. Surprisingly, it works a little better in some shallow conditions than the newer gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts