SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
I have to agree, why such a big boat? Seems to me to just be asking for trouble. If it were me I would go no larger than something I could single hand without the assistance of electronic devices. Perhaps not as simple as the Morris Justine. What does a guy need with that much boat alone?

Guess he is buying it for "stage three" time with his family.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Maybe the old raymarine were built better. My 10 year old auto helm has 30,000 miles on it and works great. But I'll stay away from the new stuff.
Well that is true of most electronics. They are now built on meeting a cost, though that cost savings is often not passed onto the customer. Less effort put into waterproofing, and more into "features." It is all put out to bid to the cheapest contract manufacturer. How many 40 year old VHF radios do you see out there, yet I read all the time about 4 and 5 year old ones giving up the ghost. So keep the old stuff for backup when the new stuff bites the dust!

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
My only question is "Why Not?" He obviously has the funds, and he is obviously in good health, and he purchased a boat that is not only quite comfortable, but very seaworthy. So, Why Not? If I were in his position, I damned sure would do it, but I'm crazy as a $hit house rat, so that may explain it. ;)

All the best,

Gary :cool:
Well I don't think many are thinking he is too old, more that he made a strange choice for a solo. It already proved on his first attempt that it may not be a good platform for a Solo.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
If a man had the funds, and the health (very important), how about being the first man to circumnavigate the planet non-stop, with a all female crew made up of 10 hot women? Looks like a record to me, and one any man could be proud of.
I am saving up now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.