SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· TROUBLE
963 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very big, very complicated boat. I remember another old timer recently trying to do the same thing, in another big and complicated boat, only to turn around and go back due to various failures and injuries. But I wish him all the best!
If I had his money I would go on a simple, well made boat, like a Morris 36 Justine. Simplicity and conservative design just can't be beat.
You mean like Jessica Watson on her S&S 34 Vs Abby Sunderland on her Open 40?

Yeah, I hear you.

Ralph

· TROUBLE
963 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope he makes it this time, but takes one day longer than Dodge Morgan did... :)

And I'm sorry, but the notion that an epoxy boat costing close to $3 million represents a "COMPLETELY GREEN" endeavor - simply because he's not burning any fuel underway - is laughable...
Not sure what your point is about the Green endeavor? BTW, it's not like Dodge Morgan was on a tight budget...

From Dodge Morgan, first American to circumnavigate globe alone, dies at 78 -

"He commissioned renowned naval architect Ted Hood to design American Promise, a rugged, $1.5 million vessel made virtually unsinkable with watertight compartments and submarine-esque doors. Mr. Morgan armed his single-masted sailboat with the latest in high-tech gear, and he avoided the need for repairs by outfitting it with two of everything: two sets of sails, two rudders, two satellite navigational systems and two machines to convert salt water into fresh water. "

Hey, racing around the world ain't cheap.

Anyway, records are made to be broken, so let's wish the new challenger all the best.

Ralph

· TROUBLE
963 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh yes, it IS the same old dude...
He has grit, I give him that, but he does not seem to be learning from his lessons. He has another grossly over-contraptionalized boat that is definitely going to be a handful for him to handle in a blow. And again, no shake-down sea trial for his boat.
He is well on his way, so no problems yet.

· TROUBLE
963 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After reading that blog again, I got it wrong. It was the project manager that gave those numbers.

"So in just 1,200 miles and with some 29,000 miles to go I have had once again some major problems. Optimistically I assure myself that these breakages are good for we will get them right. I carry spares for almost everything and I added two more manual winches in anticipation of the above problems. But still I have to say that there is a vast difference between a day sailor or an occasional off shore cruiser to what It is I am planning for – a non-stop global circumnavigation during which I cannot put into port, receive any help, spare parts etc. I must be totally independent. Hence I have to say that I don’t think many who manufacture the gear and work in the trade really get it. Just not enough reliability in the system.

Steve Pettengill, my project manager, may have it right when he says its 60% the boat, 20% the sailor and 20% luck. I am inclined to agree."

No doubt the boat is huge on a non-stop, unassisted trip. Look at Abby Sunderland's attempt end with a dismasting, while Jessica Watson gets rolled while strapped in inside, and completes hers.

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.