SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having serious thoughts about doing the ICW again in 2015. I will be 75 years old by then, if all the body parts continue to function and my wife doesn't put a bullet in me. I was told by a friend that I would likely be the oldest person to travel the ICW single-handed. I'm not sure this is the case, but if so, I would like to know. Maybe my wife won't kill me if I make some hall of fame of Guinness Book of World Records. ;) If anyone has any valid information about this I would love to see it.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
7,606 Posts
Gary, when you are 105 and in a wheelchair you may still claim the record. Keep going :)
Just keep your eyesight so you can tell if a bridge is open or closed ;)

Mark

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Sorry, Gary, but I'm guessing you might have to wait another decade, at least... :)

I've seen some real codgers running down the Ditch over the years, many of them tending to favor small powerboats/trawlers...

A guy named Harry Heckel is generally considered to be the oldest to have completed a solo circumnavigation, at the age of 87... He's no longer sailing offshore, but as his homeport was Norfolk, and he retired to Jacksonville, that old bird is probably just beginning to explore the ICW... :)

July 2, 2007

·
Registered
23,856 Posts
Enjoy every day on earth. Pursue your dreams, within your ability. Ignore age.

I rode through five countries in Europe on a motorcycle tour. One of our mates was in his 80s, 30 to 40 years older than the rest.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This reminds me of the time several years ago when I joined a hiking club out in Tuscon, Az thinking that I was probably one of the oldest members being 60 at the time. One of their members had recently stopped hiking the grand canyon when he could no longer go from the south rim to the north rim and return within 24 hours. I made it that year from the south rim to the river and back in 13 hours(less than half the distance the other guy covered) and could barely walk the next day. Oh...he was 85.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
I looked into buying the attached boat some years back. The original owner/builder was selling it because at 90 Y/O, even though he didn't need glasses or hearing aids, he thought it was getting to be too much to singlehand.

No furling or self tailing either.

DISCOVERY 47 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The "line" is in very different places for each of us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts