SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note to Olympic Sailors: Don’t Fall in Rio’s Water

"Nico Delle Karth, an Austrian sailor preparing for the 2016 Summer Olympics, said it was the foulest place he had ever trained.

Garbage bobbed on the surface, everything from car tires to floating mattresses. The water reeked so badly of sewage that he was afraid to put his feet in it to launch his boat from shore."

Ummm. Yuck.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
No roof for the would cup everything is way late and the Olympic committee is pretty much in full panic mode

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We use to build rafts out of junk and scraps and sail/float down one of the eight most polluted rivers in the US! So put on your big girl panties and race!!! :). Oh yea.....I use to have to walk to school half naked in blizzards too. :laugher

·
Registered
626 Posts
even the locals do not like it there...
Brazilians training here agree.

“It can get really disgusting, with dog carcasses in some places and the water turning brown from sewage contamination,” said Thomas Low-Beer, 24, a Brazilian Olympic hopeful who sails in the bay. He shuddered when recalling how his dinghy crashed into what he believed was a partly submerged sofa, capsizing him into the murky Guanabara.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Olympic sailors deserve better! Preparing to be competitive at that level is a huge life commitment. Asking these athletes to compete in an "open sewer" because the hosts can't do any better is unacceptable. This part of these games should be held in an appropriate location. Technology will bring the races to everyone who cares. The Brazilian Olympic Committee should arrange this with no question and immediately. Their pride in hosting these Games be damned! They will gain my respect by making the correct decision.

Down

·
Registered
626 Posts
the problem with "decisions" are, that they are made by politicians/economy mans (i just don't use the word manager anymore because it means nowadays nothing) and PR professionals which suggests the politicians and the other idiots with the money to "present" the nation with the right image(s) and that includes a lot of false impressions...

if the surroundings look great, the whole event will look great for anybody in the world without a TV which gives you the smell as well... ;) (who has such a TV?)
nobody cares about the athletes who compete in a dunk of poo...

did i mention that i do think that we are all governed, bushed and milled around by completely self centered, psychopathic and overall utter idiots?

·
Registered
23,474 Posts
This one really does seem bad, but it's also starting to seem like this is a recurring version of an Olympic Village reality show. From Beijing to Sochi, there has seemed to be a threatening story over whether they will make it in time and overcome some enormous pending disaster.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm not sure pollution in Guanabara bay will be the biggest problem for the sailing events. I think it'll be lack of wind. I think they should move the sailing events to Buzios, about an hour north of Rio. Besides being charming and having a beautiful coastline, Buzios also has wind!

As an aside, one of the problems with cleaning Guanabara bay is that it is almost an inland lake and the tiny tidal variation doesn't help to flush the water out and replace it with new water. It's almost stagnant (by ocean bay standards). The beaches just outside the mouth of the bay (like Copacabana, Leme, Ipanema, Leblon etc.) are clean enough for swimming and have daily water tests.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
783 Posts
That's what I was thinking, too. One of the reasons they will not move the sailing North is that the hosts are proud to say that this is the first summer Olympic games that will hold all the events within the same city. I'll be there, but thankfully, my event is indoors.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Rbrasi, what's your event? Are you coming as an athlete or a spectator?

I think for the most part the games will be a great success, in spite of the constant negative media (both here and abroad). Leaving everything for the last minute is just the Brazilian way. Rio is a wonderful city and I'm certain it will be a big party, like always in Rio. They know how to have fun there :)

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
783 Posts
I will be working for NBC doing the broadcast of indoor Volleyball. I have been to Rio for UFC events and I agree with you- it will be a party for sure. And they do take their time getting things done. They seem to operate on island time there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts