SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 2 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Reaction score
what ever happened to the law of salvage. they should be able to keep it or get a good % of its value, like 50 %.
I've only read a tiny bit of the judge's argument, but I did learn something new: Odyssey, the exploration company, is making a claim under the law of finds, not the law of salvage. Whereas the latter entitles salvers a fee for bringing the wreck up, the former is the one that actually grants ownership. The latter is the one you're supposed to worry about when getting help from another boat -- that entitles them to claim salvage against you, but not finds. I.e., a fee for helping out, but not ownership of your vessel.

Anyway I don't know much about international martime law but it seems unjust unless Spain had been actively engaged in recovering this wreckage for the past two hundred years. If you abandon a vessel (or any property) for that long, I don't think you should get to claim ownership over it, especially if you're a "sovereign" and not a natural person.

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Reaction score
I think he should put them back where he found them. Or, like, not exactly where he found them, but kinda sorta close, you know, within 30 miles of where he found them. Then let the Spanish government go search for it themselves.
Actually I think this is a great idea. Better than handing over the product of your labors to the People's State of Spain.

1 - 2 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.