SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living aboard a 34 full-time means you clean a lot...small spaces can become cruddy quickly. However, the space beneath the stove is quite hideous - and has presented us with access issues to clean up not only our own cooking grime, but that of our predecessors.

We'll likely have to replace the old stove/oven at some point in the future, and of course at that time, we can do a deep scouring...but until then my fellow 34 owners - and others - any tips?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Assuming the stove you have is gimbled. It should lift up and out,

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
As Denise said should lift out. Mine (force 10) has a spring clip to depress and lift straight up. Its a little awkward for one person but your galley might be larger than mine so you might have room for help. Of course you need to disconnect the Gas, if so equipped, and pressure test afterwards (to do it right) when reconnected.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
Clorox Cleanup is awesome for cleaning and deodorizing. Be careful with it though, as it obviously contains bleach.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here is an un-staged, un-cleaned, un-retouched photo of the space under our stove after living aboard underway for about a month. The stove is a Seaward Hillerange Princess two burner LPG stove with oven.

Originally the installation had a single hole to lock the stove level and keep it from swinging. On our trips to the Bahamas with four jugs of fuel on the starboard rail, the quarter berth filled with beer and Diet Coke, and the aft water tank full, the boat took on a decided list to starboard. Anchored, it was hard to fry an egg and the pancakes were oddly shaped. I made the stainless steel sector you see with nine holes so I could lock the stove level at anchor no matter what the boat's heel. Later, I added a tenth hole way back to lock the stove in its full swing position to clean under the stove and to give me better access to the tea kettle, the tea pot, the griddle, and the Nordic waffle iron (in the blue fleece bag) that are stored under the stove.

A quick wipe with 409 or similar keeps it clean; Bar Keeper Friend for the dried on grease (as well as making stainless steel shine). I tend to avoid the Clorox stuff because it corrodes steel, and the parts of the stove you can't see are steel.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
https://cms.winlink.org:444/maps/PositionReports.aspx?callsign=AK4PO&title=Position Reports for AK4PO at the red drop.
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank for the replies all - of course, we're trying to accomplish this w/o removing the stove/oven...

That said, I should have noted that the stove we have was not the 'stock' stove which came with the boat - or I can't imagine it would have been. It's a 3-burner top with oven/broiler, and is too big for the space, technically speaking. On the gimbals, it doesn't swing properly without impacting the structure behind the stove. The third burner is useless; a pot won't fit on it because it's too close to the joinery. We can't light it, because it's too close to the joinery.

We'll explore some these suggestions and see what happens. When we do replace it, it will be with a smaller, two burner unit.

Thanks again -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts