SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a Gulf 32 pilothouse. How do they perform in light air? I've heard they are a bit sluggish. I sail in the Pacific NW and light summer air and heavy currents are a consideration.
Any comments appreciated!

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Nice boat, there is one at my marina, but they are a classic "old shoe"! ie SLOW! or as I sometimes say, " slower than a dead slug going backwards"

BUT, with that in mind. Frankly, EVERYONE I know with one, luvs them! well built, handles the cold weather in winter, etc etc. For summer sailing, if this boat does not have furling, and you want to sail on the lazy windless or shall we say lack of wind ie under 6-8 knots, do as a lot of us that race, buy yourself a light wt, typically heavy nylon in the 3oz range geno or drifter/reacher, and you will be able to sail a bit better than a dacron 155 up!

I know a person in Edmonds with one, if you want to talk with them.

Marty

·
19,488 Posts
They are sluggish in light conditions, but will revel in conditions that leave many at the dock... If you like the look, you'll appreciate the pilothouse feature for our off-season weather.

Personally, while I'm a fan of Bill Garden's draftsmanship, some of his designs don't really do it for me. But some, like the GULF PHs and Saturnas and Truants pulled it off nicely.

Again, though, personally none of these boats are what I'd choose for PNW cruising, esp in summer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are sluggish in light conditions, but will revel in conditions that leave many at the dock... If you like the look, you'll appreciate the pilothouse feature for our off-season weather.

Personally, while I'm a fan of Bill Garden's draftsmanship, some of his designs don't really do it for me. But some, like the GULF PHs and Saturnas and Truants pulled it off nicely.

Again, though, personally none of these boats are what I'd choose for PNW cruising, esp in summer.
I lived across the dock from a guy that had one at the Gangplank in DC several year ago. He loved the boat but claimed it was much better under motor than sail, in fact he had bought it to use as a motor boat in the ICW. He said it got him far enough in a day that he could meet new people and be introduced to a new local and that was all he needed.

I know he loved the boat and it seemed like a great liveaboard cruiser for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts