SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out on the bay tomorrow morning. I have two goals. One is to make Onancock, the other to fly the spinnaker. I've never done either before. These may be competing goals, depending on the wind.

Or I may just end up sitting by the marina pool, if it's too hot or the engine won't start. But I want to go sailing! Haven't been on a cruise since July 4th week, and I have a buddy joining me tomorrow to head out together for four days. It's the only time he had available.

Wish us luck, and any advice is appreciated. Alternate destinations? Tangier and Cape Charles I've researched a little. I'll post a trip report on this thread.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Heading out on the bay tomorrow morning. I have two goals. One is to make Onancock, the other to fly the spinnaker. I've never done either before. These may be competing goals, depending on the wind.

Or I may just end up sitting by the marina pool, if it's too hot or the engine won't start. But I want to go sailing! Haven't been on a cruise since July 4th week, and I have a buddy joining me tomorrow to head out together for four days. It's the only time he had available.

Wish us luck, and any advice is appreciated. Alternate destinations? Tangier and Cape Charles I've researched a little. I'll post a trip report on this thread.

Scott
Have a great time. Onancock is one of our favorite destinations from D'ville. I recently read that a survey in Budget Travel magazine named Onancock one of the top 10 coolest small towns in the country.

I've also been hearing a lot of good things about Cape Charles since the marina there has been upgraded. I visit Tangier by air at least once or twice a year and eventually want to visit by boat, but honestly I know there is more interesting stuff in Onancock and am pretty sure thats the case with Cape Charles as well.

It seems its been a one tack trip on a close haul for us the times we've crossed over to Onancock. Coming home, we've had difficult sailing conditions with following seas and D'ville nearly dead down wind, so we had to gybe or motor our way home with a really uncomfortable motion, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Midlife,

Did not make it to Onancock. We're in the Occohannock, a straight east 20 mile shot from from Dville. I'm sure Monday was hot as heck on land, but it was pretty nice sailing on the bay. We couldn't have made Onancock even close hauled (my boat does not point well). And my buddy is a sailing newbie. I thought the 20 miles here would be a better introduction to sailing than a long ass day of 30 miles to Onancock. Funniest question from him was "When do you stop sailing, dinner time?"

But he's had a great trip so far. He's hiked the entire Appalachian trail, and is a great fisherman. He took out the kayak this morning and claimed to have landed a rockfish in the little creek we anchored in. I asked him to give me the fish to cook it up. He said he let it go because it didn't appear to him to be quite the 18" legal limit.

I was about ready to toss him overboard at that point. I couldn't believe he let go what could have been my delicious breakfast. How did he know it wasn't 18"? He didn't have a ruler with him on the kayak.

But anyway, weather has been really iffy. Thunderstorms are rolling through all around us now. We've been lucky so far. A day marker in the Occohannock got shredded by lightning last night. I'll post photos when we get home.

Winds are supposed to be northerly 10-15 tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have a good sail. We went up the creek to Davis marina to get more gas in case we have to motor home. The owner is a character who spent many years in the Caribbean and has lots of stories and advice.

Scott

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

My buddy seems oblivious to the shark pursuing him while body surfing behind Split Decision. We didn't quite get up to speeds where we could break out the water skis, but had a good sail on a single tack to the Occohannock river and back.

We didn't have much luck trolling Bryan as bait, but did catch a couple bluefish which made good fried fish sandwiches. I caught a crab whose meat made it into my morning eggs.

Funniest incident of the trip was when we nearly collided with a motor boat in the middle of the Chesapeake. We saw him coming from about a mile away. He just kept coming. He even adjusted his course to intercept us. He ended up crossing, I am not kidding, 30 feet in front of our bow. I probably could have T-boned him if I wanted. After he passed, he got on the radio and called me an idiot.

Scott

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just had a look at the chart. Pretty thin in there for me. The diversity of the Chesapeake is amazing though isn't it? What ever the strengths of your particular boat you're likely to find a destination that suits you. Your Cat wouldn't point but its shallow draft allowed you in a neat anchorage that folks with boats like mine would probably pass up. Ya gotta love having so many beautiful options to visit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Midlife, I think you could get in there. I don't think the problem is so much that it's shallow, as that the channel is narrow and circuitous. I'd want some local knowledge if I were going in with a monohull.

There are some nice beaches there that I wanted to approach, but I ran aground almost as soon as I left the channel. I did see a number of sailboats in the creek and at the little marina. There isn't much to do in the creek though.

With NNE winds both days, we had an easy sail the 20 miles there and back. The only times we used the motor were to get into and out of the creek. Tougher to do that the 30 miles to Onancock from Dville. Crossing the Chesapeake was fun too. My newbie buddy said he'd never been so far from shore on a boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.