SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Heading out on the bay tomorrow morning. I have two goals. One is to make Onancock, the other to fly the spinnaker. I've never done either before. These may be competing goals, depending on the wind.

Or I may just end up sitting by the marina pool, if it's too hot or the engine won't start. But I want to go sailing! Haven't been on a cruise since July 4th week, and I have a buddy joining me tomorrow to head out together for four days. It's the only time he had available.

Wish us luck, and any advice is appreciated. Alternate destinations? Tangier and Cape Charles I've researched a little. I'll post a trip report on this thread.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Have a great time. Onancock is one of our favorite destinations from D'ville. I recently read that a survey in Budget Travel magazine named Onancock one of the top 10 coolest small towns in the country.

I've also been hearing a lot of good things about Cape Charles since the marina there has been upgraded. I visit Tangier by air at least once or twice a year and eventually want to visit by boat, but honestly I know there is more interesting stuff in Onancock and am pretty sure thats the case with Cape Charles as well.

It seems its been a one tack trip on a close haul for us the times we've crossed over to Onancock. Coming home, we've had difficult sailing conditions with following seas and D'ville nearly dead down wind, so we had to gybe or motor our way home with a really uncomfortable motion, but it was worth it.

Ā· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
Just had a look at the chart. Pretty thin in there for me. The diversity of the Chesapeake is amazing though isn't it? What ever the strengths of your particular boat you're likely to find a destination that suits you. Your Cat wouldn't point but its shallow draft allowed you in a neat anchorage that folks with boats like mine would probably pass up. Ya gotta love having so many beautiful options to visit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.