SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mason 44 sailboat, she looks good but not sure how old the pictures are. On hard now at Shelter Bay Marina. Not much you need to upgrade as long as the survey is good.

Who is the lucky one here?

Mason 44 For Sale | Beautiful Sailboat

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
... and a bargain at

Reactions: Marcaiche

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really pay much attention to the asking price especially coming from the owner. The boat is on the market since April and in Panama on hard. I am sure there is room for negotiation. If the price is not your liking, you walk. :D

Reactions: sailorbill1

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a long walk from Panama.

Looks like she's all yours Dawg! Heh-heh.
Hahah... I may go there to take a look. I love Panama. We have Spirit Airline to and from PYI for less than $270 roundtrip. It is red eye express, but not too bad.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
6 months unattended on the hard in one of the hottest, most humid tropical places on earth. Can anybody spell mold? Bugs, rats and god knows what else. No thanks.

Reactions: sailorbill1

·
Registered
32 Posts
I once picked up a 65 fter., that had been on the hard in Malaya for delivery back to Kiwi, it was completely stuffed, electrics shot, the wiring just crumbled, the instruments were unreadable, piping in engine room unsafe, sails black with mould and half the insect population of the area, stove, hot water Cali font completely rusted out.don't ask what was in the freezer. the owner informed me it was in excellent sea going condition.be careful be very careful

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sure there is a LOT of room for negotiation; or the seller is unable/unwilling to accept the realities of the current bear marketplace. Genuine Mason 43s typically list for about $100K, and then sit on the market for months to longer than a year without a contract.

I'm told the 44s aren't even genuine, that they were build from the drawings for the 43, modified by someone not Al Mason, and that Al Mason had no oversight over their construction (which is the source of the reputation for quality that Masons have); and that he was not paid for the use of the design. The builder stuck Mason's name on the boats to traffic in his excellent reputation for quality. I don't know how much of this is true, but I spent a lot of time digging in to the history of Mason boats while looking very hard at an Adriatic Yachts Alpha 48 (listed as a Mason 48), and this story popped out of that research. Also, I don't know anything about the actual quality of the 44s ... they might well be as good as the 43s.

There does not seem to be many people in the market for an old, heavy-displacement, full-keeled boat. Catamarans and modern production boats (priced to market) sell much, much faster. At least, that's how it looks to me after more than a year of price tracking.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Be optimistic - take your check book and buy a one-way ticket...:D
As usual, Mr. Dawg may find himself far, far from where he intended to be, should he actually, miraculously arrive at the airport listed as PYI (Nay Pyi Taw International Airport, Myanmar) for $270.00 rt. The airport in Panama is PTY.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure there is a LOT of room for negotiation; or the seller is unable/unwilling to accept the realities of the current bear marketplace. Genuine Mason 43s typically list for about $100K, and then sit on the market for months to longer than a year without a contract.

I'm told the 44s aren't even genuine, that they were build from the drawings for the 43, modified by someone not Al Mason, and that Al Mason had no oversight over their construction (which is the source of the reputation for quality that Masons have); and that he was not paid for the use of the design. The builder stuck Mason's name on the boats to traffic in his excellent reputation for quality. I don't know how much of this is true, but I spent a lot of time digging in to the history of Mason boats while looking very hard at an Adriatic Yachts Alpha 48 (listed as a Mason 48), and this story popped out of that research. Also, I don't know anything about the actual quality of the 44s ... they might well be as good as the 43s.

There does not seem to be many people in the market for an old, heavy-displacement, full-keeled boat. Catamarans and modern production boats (priced to market) sell much, much faster. At least, that's how it looks to me after more than a year of price tracking.
Thanks for the heads up. Good lead to look into. :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
6 months unattended on the hard in one of the hottest, most humid tropical places on earth. Can anybody spell mold? Bugs, rats and god knows what else. No thanks.
I did a quick survey of this boat last May for a friend. Not bad shape, the guy has done a lot of work over the years on her. If he is asking for 180K for it then I would say that is a good starting point and I think he would come down.

I'm sure like the rest of us that have a boat on the hard in Shelter Bay Marina he has a dehumidifier on board.

·
19,485 Posts
FWIW the pics were taken this time last year if camera data is to be believed...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts