SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 30 foot TMI (ticon) sailboat which I love, usually, but the 1982 universal diesel that powers it is another story entirely. When I bought the boat about six months ago I knew she hadn't been maintained worth a flip for a few years, and I paid accordingly, but while everything aboard has required a little tweaking and restoration, this infernal engine just will not stop finding new and exciting ways to crap out on me. I've rebuilt injectors, and raw water pumps, replaced a starter, and re-wired some stuff that seemed to work somehow, but now I'm right back in classic age of sail, though not by choice. It seems as though some tiny little screw/plug/bolt thing has launched from the crankcase, and turned the port side of my engine into an oil geyser of Texas proportions. From what I can tell by the faded photocopies of parts manuals I found online, and squinted over on my busted iPhone screen, there was a plug by the name of universal part number 299356 that is the culprit. The problem is, nobody has one. I can't font the replacement at any parts suppliers, and I have no clue what the thing looks like (yes, it DID vanish into thin air). So my question here, is does anyone on earth know what this little fella looks like, or have an extra laying around, or know of a substitute, or own a welder near Marco Island Florida? I'm getting desperate here. I'm on the hook with my new girlfriend and the holding tank is gettin very close to full. Thank you in advanced sailnet!!!!!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
If it is a threaded hole, maybe get a piece of wooden doweling slightly larger than the hole and taper it so you can "screw' it in with a fair amount of pressure on the end. Or a smaller than the hole piece daubed with JB weld. Hopefully you can chase the threads out later?

Or, get a bucket. :D

Paul T

Just thought of this. If it is a hole for a gauge sender or in an actual oil gallery that is under pressure, the above probably won't work. If the hole is for a breather or just subject to crankcase pressure it might be OK

One other thought. If the hole is threaded, you might be able to find the same size & thread bolt somewhere on the engine that you could "borrow", preferably from an area where there are several other bolts of the same size in one area holding whatever it is to the engine the bolts are in. Suggest you "screw lightly" when fitting the bolt so as not to strip the threads in the hole.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
According to my Universal Diesel Engines, Repair Parts Manual, a 299356 is a threaded plug. These engines are metric so it looks like if you can find a metric bolt about 1/2" long it should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
My internet is really slow, I wanted to add that these are marinized Kuboto engines so the part would be available from a small tractor Kuboto dealer. This plug is used a number of times in the Universal engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jordan,

As ebs has said, the 5411 you have is a marinized Kubota block, the Z500 I think, which is used in the B5100 tractor.

if you go to the Kubota web page for parts you can navigate your way to your engine parts diagram and find the Kubota part number for that plug.

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List

From what I can see it is 14301-33610. I googled for this and found many websites saying it was discontinued, but this one seems to have it

Steen enterprises Store

Alternatively, go to the nearest Kubota dealer and try to order it there.

Best of Luck.
Eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update:

there is an alternative part number, 15261-96010. Lots of online Kubota parts places have this.

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I just can't believe how awesome you guys are! All great ideas, but you just really went above and beyond Eric, and I appreciate it emensely. The link was to exactly the right part, and I'll be ordering it from them today(with a few extras to boot). Seriously guys, thank you so much! :D

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
You never said which engine you have Jordan. My engine, the 5416 has a petcock drain in the block on the starboard side. Could that possibly be what was in yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the 5411, and grow what I can tell it's a little blog that is in a hole that's drilled for an optional oil pressure sending unit or something. It's a tiny little bugger.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
By the way they are great motors so once you get it working well it should treat you well .

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
A proper bubblegum fix would be a brass plumbing square topped plug that doesn't quite reach the bottom of the threads, but as close as you can get.

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
It's probably IPT---- International Pipe Thread. A bolt won't fit it, whether metric or otherwise.

IPT is tapered so that it becomes leakproof when sufficiently tight.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
It's probably IPT---- International Pipe Thread. A bolt won't fit it, whether metric or otherwise.

IPT is tapered so that it becomes leakproof when sufficiently tight.
Good point. IIRC, most/all the sending units I have seen have the pipe thread tapered fittings. You could try a similar size bolt for an emergency fix but should be careful not to force it to the point your strip the threads in the block, which could be re-drilled & tapped later, material allowing. But that would be just another thing to go wrong. :D

Paul T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts