SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been researching for past year, getting closer to making the move from land to sea. What is the best online market place for boats that presents current listings. I have done Yachtworld, Sailboat listings, Boattrader, Boats.com and several brokerage sites. I seem to see the same boats but there are few clues as to what is a current listing still available. Part of research is looking at average costs for age and make of boat. Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
What's you location? In Canada Kijiji is King in my opinion, I don't even look at yacht world or brokerage sites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking in US, mainly Gulf Coast or Florida region. With value of US dollar going up, might consider European purchase paying for delivery if costs still lower than similar US purchase.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
have you owned a boat? What sort of experience do you have?

·
Registered
21,829 Posts
Get references from other boaters you might know and find a broker to give you a hand. Give that broker an exclusive for 6 months, so they know they have a chance and will work hard. If they do something stupid, you can fire them, but tell them you are doing so. Just don't work with multiple brokers at once, unless they are doing no more than showing you the listings, that you found on your own, in their own yard. A good broker will often know of listings you can't find, or more importantly, the stories behind listings you do find.

I think you have your internet listings pretty much covered.

Have you purchase a boat before? If not, there is much to learn and many here that can help.

·
19,489 Posts
Any/all of the various listing sites are great for filtering out your likes and dislikes.. but no matter how good (or bad) the pictures are they are nothing like 'being there'.

The pro sites like Yachtworld seem quite current as to listings sold or under offer, CL and others require the seller to update or remove the ads so that's less certain. However a simple inquiry by phone or email will quickly sort that out.

Shop local if you can; at least withing easy driving distance. A friend had some very specific wants, and after discussions with brokers flew from BC to California and to the Great Lakes on the brokers' assurances, only to discover within minutes that the boat was not in the 'pristine' condition that was claimed. The pictures looked good, but......

That said, if you do narrow down to one or two specific designs you may have no choice but to buy at a distance, but obviously there are extra costs involved - inspection travel, 'remote' surveyor hiring, and ultimately transport/delivery time and money on top of that.

Finally, pay attention to where the boat was built.. North American built boats are duty free, Euro and Asian built boats will have near 10% duty attached if you end up importing (eg buying in Canada - where you get a good deal on your dollar). Many Beneteaus and Jeanneaus, for example, from the 80s/90s were built abroad.

Happy hunting!

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
My last purchase was private no Broker as a lot are and I don't remember off hand how I spotted it, they are all good to see whats out there if you settle on a certain boat just GOOGLE *****for sale and you get all listings public and private (advertised anyway) online shopping is great but until you put eyes on, you just cant tell from pictures some stuff like waterlines on cabinetry can be seen but you will be surprised at how nice they look in pictures and in person not so much.

I cant imagine a situation where I would let a Broker and or Surveyor make that determination for me. You might talk to the local Banks and Marinas to see what might be in distress right in your own town I think the number of Boats that could be bought in my Marina and the one next door that are NEVER used, I can be residing for 5 years and tell you which ones never go out and have not been hauled in years etc. Of course the tricky part to this is usually they are bottom line boats condition unknown and the seller is not even thinking about things like hauling and surveys so tricky at best but some potential deals out there.

I see you're in FL no shortage of Boats just be aware tropical Boats can need more rigging work that northern or fresh water Boats.
I bought 120 miles away and after looking much farther decided to not move something too far right away so unless delivering consider that as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all. Grew up on Great Lakes, did some crewing on a racer, been landlocked for 30 years but am ready for the water again. Am moving forward with lots of research but know I don't know what I don't know. Just trying to figure out budget and timeline and learning whats out there,

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You either have to admire the balls of some these noobs or their naivete...

Where you grew up is irrelevant... as is "crewing on a race boat 30 years ago" to owning a yacht.

Research is good... lots of study and then take some sailing classes and get on the water in small boat and see how that goes... don't get ahead of yourself... If done right...it takes years.... not months.

It's all good....

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
I admire anyone who wants to Sail and those "Balls" will come in handy when sh** hits the fan one day. Get your experience anywhere you can and when its time just dive in, nobody knows when you're ready more than you do. We were all noobs once.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If we had a clue as to what you are looking for and a ball-park budget, you might get some decent suggestions. Just maybe one of us knows of a boat that would be perfect for you but for whatever reason, is not advertised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, always prepared for those that like to pour rum over the side and piss on the plan; an ASA school is certainly part of the plan, I suppose I could just get an RV since I already know how to drive. Thanks to all who responded.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
ASA is a good program and not to diminish the organization there are lots of ways to learn. I just got on as many Boats as I could learned by doing and then sat for the CG Captains License. I guess it comes down to time on the water no matter how you get it.
Casual club racing is a two hour cram course every time you get out.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Welcome mcomte. I made good use of all the ones you listed. I also used Good Old Boat’s classified (if you’re in the market for a GOB). Specific brokerages usually have their own online listing, but a good way to find unlisted listings is to walk the docks and wonder through the marina offices and yacht club houses.

As far as doing research, it doesn’t really matter if the listing is current. It will give you a starting price range, but you’ll find actual selling prices can range quite a bit (depending on the type of boat you’re looking at).

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
My fairly recent experience in the States....

Most brokered listing can be found on yachtworld.

Sailboatlistings and sailingtexas are good sources where people can list boats easily and quickly without brokers. Some owners use this before listing with a broker.

Craigslist is a true soup from really poor to OK, but not owners who know what they have and can wait.
CL takes a lot of time and it's a great source for finding owners that are looking to sell quick, needing to get out of it. There are also tons of displacement of 'crap boats' there that owners think are worth many Xs their real market value.

If you're interested in a liveaboard boat, in whatever condition, some of the best sources are the liveaboard marinas. They usually have have a community board with adverts, but you can call the marinas.

Know what you are looking for - that's the key.

·
Reduced Sodium
12 Posts
Every boat I have ever purchased came from craigslist posts. It's a decent enough way to find local deals. Admittedly they were all powerboats <30 foot. Locally, the Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo CL adds have some decent deals on sail boats from time to time.

My wife and I are planning on buying our first large (28-32) ish foot sailboat this spring.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Thanks to all. Grew up on Great Lakes, did some crewing on a racer, been landlocked for 30 years but am ready for the water again. Am moving forward with lots of research but know I don't know what I don't know. Just trying to figure out budget and timeline and learning whats out there,
Don't expect boats to look like their photos or be in the condition described. If you are lucky and find the right broker they will be honest. That is not the norm, most exaggerate at the very least, some out right lie.

I think Yachtworld is your best bet for getting a feel of asking prices. deduct 10- 25% from that and you will get a good feel for what people are actually selling for. A broker can tell you what each boat has actually sold for if you enlist his help, but, they probably won't do it for free unless you are making an offer on one of the boats they have listed. Craigslist or other ad sources are fine for shopping locally, I would not bother if you have to travel to find out if the boat even exists.

Delivery fees can run into the thousands. Even if you deliver it yourself you still have to factor in those costs. I purchased a boat in Annapolis and sailed/motored it to CT. With routine maintenance that must be done before departure, minor breakdown, and the cost of eating drinking, marinas, fuel, etc. it still cost me on average two to three hundred a day for the ride.

Moving backward, there are the costs to view the boat, survey it etc. I made two trips to Annapolis by car, staying in a hotel, before I purchased the boat and brought it back. So for a 30K boat I spent (probably) 3K - 4K in expenses. They are fun times and I made the best of it, but it still cost $$.

Buying a boat 500 miles away and having something like a blown head gasket or buying a boat 20 miles away and having a blown head gasket could mean a huge difference if repairs, especially if you can do it yourself at home.

:2 boat: Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, here we are, new owners of a 1983 Pearson 530 and boy did I get bamboozled by the two brokers and the surveyor. Took possession on August 29, stripped her down over three days in prep of Dorian and have been working 8 hrs. a day, 6 days a
week just finding and fixin sh*t. We have been fortunate to meet some great folks who are helping us get through the issues. Lessons learned - clearly specify expectations of broker, get examples of previous surveys on similar boats from surveyor. Ours was more interested in fishing stories than going through boat, even after showing up 2 hours late! Gotta go, bilge pump hose leaking!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts