SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say...dear chap..would you care for a cup'o tea??

I say...really nice weather today, isn't it??

I say...care for some sheppards pie??

indeed I do, tata....cheerio!!

·
Splashed
572 Posts
What a nice building in red and white in there? Could that have a purpose for navigation? Maybe it is even depicted on the chart for that area? :D
It's funny how people trust others, turn of common sense and "flock" like that?

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Looks to me like the perfect example of why sailboats should be required to have brake lights. Turn signals wouldn't be a bad idea either.:rolleyes:

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Do these people not know how to read a damn chart???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Comment from the youtube site for the video shows what they were thinking:

They hit the wreck not the rock. The trick is to go in between the two as saves loads of time but you need a good navigator. Even the third boat is too far out, about 40 feet from the visible rocks is good.

YouTube - Boat hitting the rocks

·
Splashed
572 Posts
It's a race..short line makes better times...
I realize that... Last year we actually grounded an X-Yacht, he probably realized that I had local knowledge - He just didn't realize how local.. So they was stuck a little to the wrong side... Funny thing is that if he'd gone outside he would have passed us, as he's a lot faster on a broad reach than we are.
Anyways I know what it's like when the adrenaline is pumping...

·
Registered
504 Posts
"OK, we're really gaining on them. We're lower and faster, hold what you've got! Damn, it's like they're parked or something! Let's go inside them, we have enough speed to punch right through their lee!

CRAP!!!!"

·
560 Posts
I don't know why you all are picking on these skippers. I thought it was quite thoughtful, the way that second boat tried to free the first one off it's grounding. :D :D :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't know why you all are picking on these skippers. I thought it was quite thoughtful, the way that second boat tried to free the first one off it's grounding. :D :D :D
Wrong,
This is a test for the new AIRBRAKE system for sailboats.

Now i have currantly applied for patients but some one that lives south of the smelly FRENCH has busted me.And my product.

So can you tell me in plain language how i can advertize this REALY GREAT PRODUCT?? As you can see it does not.......
BLOW SAND:)
Mark

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Right.

I lived in England for a year and sailed in the Solent a good bit. I learned a lot about sailing in the cold, high winds, insane tides and currents, and nasty bits of rock and wrecks. I came home with one clear conclusion.

American sailors are pansies.

Those guys were racing and cutting a corner tight. They missed the clear channel (no visibility into the water) between the wreck and the rock. Who among us has never ever made a mistake? Now move your experiences to a much more stressing environment.

It is an entertaining bit of film, but the skippers and helmsmen don't deserve to be ridiculed.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not American....

Yes he does...if you race, it's your obligation to know where you go, how you go and when you go.

Where I sail, wrecks are clearly marked..int he water, and in the charts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I am not American....

Yes he does...if you race, it's your obligation to know where you go, how you go and when you go.

Where I sail, wrecks are clearly marked..int he water, and in the charts
Following the boat ahead might seem like a good idea, but in many cases the navi-guesser ahead of you don't know where he/she are at either.:eek:

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
I saw that one a few days ago. Poor keel. That would do some damage. Also, I wonder what happened to the poor sailers. That is a sudden and unexpected stop....

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
This place is notorious for yacht-wrecking. I believe it's the "Needles" at the Isle of Wight. Apparently you have to cut it finer than that. Closer in works, it seems.

That first boat looks like it got hurt too. It would be so easy to get holed and sunk there. A wee buoy on it would help. At night, in heavy weather, it must be an awful place.

I think word gets around not to risk that course.

I hope that every one escaped with their teeth... that boat hit hard.

I nearly lost my own ship close to here one day in 1993....

The Waverley steams past Kames

....steering right up a reef with the Volvo in gear at 6 kt and brains in neutral.

The first mate look at me and said, "What are you doing?".

I froze to ice on the spot.

Little was said for the rest of the day. The message was carried by silences, and strange, suspicious sideward glances. It knocks the hell out of your confidence.... sublime over-confidence as it turned out. It certainly cooled my rear.

Mea cupla.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Right.

I lived in England for a year and sailed in the Solent a good bit. I learned a lot about sailing in the cold, high winds, insane tides and currents, and nasty bits of rock and wrecks. I came home with one clear conclusion.

American sailors are pansies.

Those guys were racing and cutting a corner tight. They missed the clear channel (no visibility into the water) between the wreck and the rock. Who among us has never ever made a mistake? Now move your experiences to a much more stressing environment.

It is an entertaining bit of film, but the skippers and helmsmen don't deserve to be ridiculed.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

As a AMERICAN SAILOR currantly owning the DINK i resemble the pansies comment....A AMERICAN willing to agree...yup.

I do admit it...I take great joy in watching others screw up...Same as my forefathers have...

And the other thing that is the same...We all have gone and got there happy asses as all SAILORS should...Bought them a beer..And offered them the toolbox and time to fix the learning curve...:D
myThoughts
mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts