SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the following from a friend. (The name of the boat is "Temporary Insanity". I guess so, eh?):

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Didn't this turn out to be a hoax?
Not according to the Baltimore Sun (an entity that does a slightly better job of fact checking than the average internet "news" sources...

But the really interesting part is the date:

Baltimore Sun, 9/18/2000 - from a column by Dan Rodricks: "Will There Be A III ?"

Temporary Insanity II Impaled on Channel Marker
Near Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island: Just before 2 a.m., a 1992, 38-ft. Fountain power boat slammed into a fixed, channel marker, ripping a 17-ft. gash in the forward hull & becoming impaled on the steel piling holding the channel marker. A passenger suffered a broken arm & lacerations; a passing boater rescued the two men. DNR police cited the skipper, who "claimed to have been blinded by the lights of a sailboat", for negligence, traveling at an unsafe speed, & failure to maintain a proper lookout.

So, not a hoax, but definitely not news! Here we are thirteen years later, and it's still goinng around on the web.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Pretty good navigation. Dead on, so to speak.

A similar thing happened near the mouth of the Yeocomico R in Virginia a few years ago. A large powerboat ran over a small, anchored fishing boat near a marker on a sunny weekend afternoon. They hauled the wreckage to our marina. The damage was impressive. "I just ducked below for a second" :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Quote:Baltimore Sun, 9/18/2000 - from a column by Dan Rodricks: "Will There Be A III ?"
Near Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island: Just before 2 a.m., a 1992, 38-ft. Fountain power boat slammed into a fixed, channel marker, ripping a 17-ft. gash in the forward hull & becoming impaled on the steel piling holding the channel marker.
---------------
Looking at the picture it is definitely not a 38-ft boat, and it is not a 17-ft gash in the hull. So the picture and story do not jive.

I'm impressed how well that marker stood up to the impact.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:Baltimore Sun, 9/18/2000 - from a column by Dan Rodricks: "Will There Be A III ?"
Near Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island: Just before 2 a.m., a 1992, 38-ft. Fountain power boat slammed into a fixed, channel marker, ripping a 17-ft. gash in the forward hull & becoming impaled on the steel piling holding the channel marker.
---------------
Looking at the picture it is definitely not a 38-ft boat, and it is not a 17-ft gash in the hull. So the picture and story do not jive.

I'm impressed how well that marker stood up to the impact.
A couple of other sources said it was a 32 footer, which I can definitely believe from the pic. As to the length of the gash, well, people often overestimate such things. If they were just eyeballing a picture, and told the boat was 38' OAL, they might guestimate "a little less than half the length..."

There's a joke in here somewhere, lurking...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
"Thass right, ossifer, that there pole leapded in fron omme an before I could do anythin, we whomped'er good."

Reactions: Brewgyver

·
Registered
393 Posts
There's a bow-first shot of it on another site.
Still hard to say from that angle exactly which model it was, but from that angle the rip appears to be at least 15 feet.

Also, the story went on to note that a passenger suffered a broken arm, and the operator was cited for "for negligence, traveling at an unsafe speed, & failure to maintain a proper lookout." The skipper claimed to have been "blinded by the lights of a sailboat".

Anyway, ancient history.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Someone (Mythbusters?) tried to duplicate it under controlled conditions and couldn't even come close.

I guarantee that much impact would do a lot more than break an arm. Those ocean racers get killed & crippled just by launching off a wave and re-entering badly.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No, not a hoax. I lived in Annapolis when this happened.

And, I laughed when I watched the episode of "Mythbusters" when they decided it probably didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just proves that fiberglass is not a suitable material for real boats.
If you're going to make a habit of doing things like that with your boat, anything less than 1'' steel armor plate "is not a suitable material for real boats."

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
There's a bow-first shot of it on another site.
Still hard to say from that angle exactly which model it was, but from that angle the rip appears to be at least 15 feet.
Hmmm... what is the diameter of the pole? 18 inches max - more like 12 in reality. What is the boat's beam? 8 feet 6 inches max or you could not trailer her without special permit. And that is a beam of a 35 foot Fountain powerboat. You might be right, that rip looks a lot longer from that angle. I stand corrected. I think it is probably a 32 foot Fountain. They don't make a 36.
I wonder if the boat was actually being cut deeper and deeper after initial collision by the action of waves and tide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts