SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, those Dock & Go joystick docking systems ROCK, alright... :)

A Beneteau Sense 50 was lost today after going on the jetty in Ft. Pierce Inlet... Details still sketchy, but what the delivery crew is telling the owner is that the Dock & Go system went haywire, and pretty much froze all control of the boat...

But, yeah - the great thing about these sort of systems is that they allow more people who otherwise might be intimidated by handling their 40-footer get started in sailing, right? :)

Un-freakin'-believable...

Damn, 'French Kiss', our friends boat, lost at Fort Pierce Inlet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep,

As was in another post, no need for those messy paper charts and old fashioned compass. The electronics will take care of it all. :D

Greg

Recommend viewing.....
Colossus - The Forbin Project
Demon Seed
Westworld

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Naughty, naughty -- BAD ROBOT!

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
This is similar to the automatic brake system in automobiles. When they work they are wonderful. When they don't they may solve all your problems permanently. There are enough hazards out there or on the road. I wouldn't compound the potential problems voluntarily.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Can't you turn off the engine and thrusters? You're not going to be going THAT fast in a marina, are you? It makes me hope the OP is exaggerating to say the "boat was lost". Steer to avoid as much as you can, and fend off. Once you've stopped, hold on to a piling and call the dock office - on the cellphone if you have to. People need to do things that make sense.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Docking a 50 footer is no small task. The way i see it if you have the money for a Sense 50 and the insurance to go with it the more power to ya. iIt's a shame the dock and go isn't more reliable. Watching it in action is trully impressive. It definitely takes some of the fear out of some bad situations.
If they were going out the inlet, why would they use the dock and go anyway? Playing??

20 Years from now it will be as normal as a fin keel with a spade rudder is today. Advances in sailing have to start somewhere.

I heard full keels with barn door rudders coming back in fashion.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
What a shame I wasted so much time honing my boat handling skills. I could have just waited till this little innovation and never had to learn a damn thing. But the real question is; will it make me a cup of coffee??

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
What did they do with the kid that was on the boat???
I think they were shy a fender or two. Its a good use for kids.

Wait, I have to put a smiley face here. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Washington State ferries had several very expensive accidents secondary to failure of electronic controls. Most of them involved approaching the dock, sending comands to reverse the motors, and nothing happened. A 400 plus foot long 3,200 ton boat can do a lot of damage even at low velocity. A 50 foot sailboat has a lot less energy, but is much more fragile, and still to big to stop without a lot of help.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Yeah, those Dock & Go joystick docking systems ROCK, alright... :)

A Beneteau Sense 50 was lost today after going on the jetty in Ft. Pierce Inlet...[/url]
TODAY?

I heard this story over a month ago. Then I read the last post in the link given and a poster said it happened in November. Or did it happen a second time???

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
There don't seem to be any web hits on any recent sailboat "wrecks" at Fort Pierce. Unless someone can confirm this incident it is just bilge talk making the rounds.

Beneteau's pdf on the system does say it will lock out the helm, which leaves big questions about safety, override, operator training, reliability....and a good career for lawyers.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
20 Years from now it will be as normal as a fin keel with a spade rudder is today. Advances in sailing have to start somewhere.
they can have my heavy, long, and full keel when they unclench my cold dead hands from the tiller :D

That said.. I would like to play with that system at least once

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.