SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '65 Cal 30 has an afterdeck area with no topside access that is only accessible now with a very small vertical panel in the aft bulkhead of the cockpit.

While I can get to something right in the center behind this removable panel, it is so small that I can't really crawl in to reach other areas.

Since my boat has had a smaller (10' instead of original 14" boom) boom added, I don't use the aft traveller track for anything and this deck area wold make a great location for some topside lazarette access.

I am thinking about adding a large access hatch into the center that will open up this area and allow access more easily than crawling through the quarter berths.

Have any of you done something similar with your boat? If so, can you post a picture of two here?

Thanks.

Murph

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've never done something similar, but I have an Alberg 35 with a lazaret hatch and I have to say it really makes things easy. With three cockpit hatches, (two benches, and lazaret), I can organize storage and keep things like the bilge pump handle and lines that are commonly used on top and accessible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and I have to say it really makes things easy. With three cockpit hatches, (two benches, and lazaret), I can organize storage and keep things like the bilge pump handle and lines that are commonly used on top and accessible.
Yes, that's why I feel that I need to do this; I just want to do it so it is good looking, functional and still usable for storage on top of it. My last boat (C&C 24) had a huge access along the starboard side that would allow me to crawl in and actually pass below the cockpit. While the lay out of my current boat allows access to the lazarette area through bulkheads at the end of the quarter berths, the access for anything stored inside through the cockpit "door" is laughable and very inconvenient.

I'm thinking painted oak framing with a painted fiberglass over marine ply top, but would sure like to see what anyone else who's added an access hatch has done.

·
Registered
234 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts