SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 1973 Tartan 46. This boat was designed by Sparkman and Stephens and built by Tartan marine from 1972 to 1974. Apparently there was at least one boat of this type that has circumnavigated. It is my understanding that the there was a also Tartan 48 model that was very similar to the 46 (the 48 had a slightly different stern configuration).

Does anybody have any experience with this model Tartan? I am especially interested in build quality and sailing characteristics.

Thanks!

Kate

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Home - Tartan Owners Northeast
TARTAN 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I do believe they were basically the same boat with different transoms. Tartan had excellent build quality back then, among the best of the production builders of the day. Many boats were not quite as fancy as others, but well built. I believe that the 48 also has a more cruiser style interior, but have not been able to find any line drawings. I imagine it has fewer bunks, and more storage.

Nice looking boats, especially the 48

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.