SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Other nearby places are the World's Fair Marina near LGA, or Steppingstone Marina near King's Point/Great Neck.
I don't know much about the Bayside place but I am fairly sure that Little Neck Bay is quite shallow. I assume you would have a slip at Bayside.
Steppingstone only offers moorings but has a launch service. Steppingstone is probably also the cheapest, even for non-residents (Great Neck).
World's Fair marina is great for those who like low flying airplanes every few minutes.

The main thing you will need to get used to is the nearly 8' tidal range on the LI Sound after learning to sail on a lake. All that water moving around creates currents as well. A great reference for this is the "Eldridge Tide & Pilot Manual" which has the tide tables & current charts as well as other useful information.

Nice boat Ranger 29'! Is it diesel powered or perhaps the old Atomic 4?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Bayside is on the shallow side and I believe the slips available are mostly smaller powerboats.
Seems enough water for moderate draft sailboats on moorings.
Few things to consider at Bayside...
Seems like not a lot of parking available.
Noise from Cross Island Parkway is always present...day and night.
Traffic on Cross Island Parkway often times backed up. Is a foot bridge over hiway into residential area not to far, but seems might be a long way to carry gear and don't know
if anywhere to park on other side.

Steppingstone Marina in Great Neck (2 miles away on water) my home marina,
plenty of parking, no traffic, no noise, set on 15 acre park, summer concerts
Sat. and Sunday evenings, extensive launch hours ...cost $14. per ft.
(plus $500. if non resident) $900. for 29' boat. Dockmaster and assist. dockmaster
young, appreciative, helpful with good attitudes.
If any interest will show you around.
Hugo

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tripl...sent you a PM with my contact info,
if interest marina can put you on a guest mooring
immediately while your waiting for mooring and
process paper work.
Can talk about helping you moving boat...no cost.
Hugo

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
tripl-
Stepping Stones is taking non-residents? Or you are a resident?

Bayside can be very inconvenient access, unless you park "upstairs" and walk across the pedestrian bridge. Shallow water but a very protected harbor, more so than Stepping Stones. If you look east across the water from Bayside, that's the Douglaston Yacht Squadron anchorage and you might also enquire there.

Some years ago I called Bayside to ask about a pumpout and all season long, either they didn't answer their phone (very impressive) or they said it was out of order (equally impressive). I don't know from the current staff but it has always seemed like an odd little place.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Congrats on you Atomic 4, tripl!
If you haven't found it yet then Moyer Marine's website & forum are the place for all your questions (& answers) to everything Atomic 4.

We kept our boat at Steppingstone for a season or two about 10 years ago. It is a nice facility. There is a pretty long open fetch to the west of about 3 miles to the Throgg's Neck Bridge so you need to make sure you have not just 1 but 2 (TWO) pennant lines holding your boat to your mooring (don't ask how I know this). If the mooring you get has 1 pennant then you need to add a second line yourself and not wait for the marina staff to do it for you.

Hugo is a great guy to know. I have yet to meet him in person myself but he knows other LI Sailnut members I have met. Hopefully he will be able to assist you with your transit from Bridgeport back to Steppingstone or wherever. It is only about 40 miles (direct) and could be done in one very long day. I'd suggest that chopping the trip roughly in half might be a little easier and you could anchor in Huntington Bay (Northport, Huntington & Lloyd Harbors) or Oyster Bay the first night. Oyster Bay makes a very safe anchorage.

A guest mooring at Huntington Yacht Club used to cost @ $50/night if you are concerned about over night anchoring.

If you prefer to just get the trip done in one day then make sure your A4 is running well, has plenty of clean fuel and set out early from Bridgeport motor sailing for your destination. If you can keep your boat going 5 knots you should cover the 40 miles in less than 10 hours (more like 8). Of course a lot of this depends on where the wind is coming from that day; if there is wind.

You will want to get the Eldridge Tide & Pilot Manual to figure out what the current is doing in the Sound as you try to transit it. It is always best to go with the direction of the current, when possible.

You are reminding me of how excited I was when we went to sail our boat from 3 Mile Harbor back to the western sound for our maiden voyage (we did that in 3 days). I hope your delivery trip goes as smoothly as ours did.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts