SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see allot of Oday 37 Center cockpit boats for sale in many places online.
I've never even been on a Center cockpit boat.
What is the real feeling most sailors have about such boats?
I know the below decks layouts can be very accommodating.
No I'm not planning on buying one!
Are Center cockpit boats great but greatly misunderstood because they don't have the traditional look/design?

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I think my biggest issue is the profile that's exposed to the wind but that's only an issue when leave or entering the slip. hell, when we had the Hunter and Tayana side by side, when I stood on the deck of the Hunter I was at least 4'-5' higher than the cabin roof on our tayana and the cockpit is higher still

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
My personal preference is to be able to sit back and look up at the sails. Ergo I am no great fan of centre cockpits. Visually I also usually prefer the look of an aft cockpit. Nonetheless I have been tempted.

The interesting thing about CCs is that to my mind the worst thing about them is being up so high. Ironically that is probably also their best feature. Make of that what you will. :) (Schizophrenia on my part is not out of the question ;))

Down below accomodation is OK but at 37' its getting a bit tight. Personally I don't think a CC comes into its own at under 40' At 40' and up you get the full benefit of the aft cockpit while still maintaining a half way decent saloon and f'ward cabin.

Small CCs usually have appalling storage capacity up top. Very few of the small ones will score a lazarette of any size and cockpit lockers can be pretty mingy as well.

IMHO Moody did some nice CCs, as did Oyster. The Kiwi Alan Warwick did a couple of lovely 40'45'ers. Bob Perry was a dab hand, his Norseman 447 was one of the best but if you like the CC check out the AC....oh man , now that is a honey. Perry's Tayana CCs are right purty things as well...so there are lot's of good looking CCs about but I still have a sneaking suspicion they they appeal more to those who are on the lookout for a floating RV than they are a real boat. :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough centre cockpits seem to have fallen totally out of favour in the last few years.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
they they appeal more to those who are on the lookout for a floating RV than they are a real boat
based on the use that our ( inlaws ) 45CC gets or got, I would agree, it's a weekend condo (mostly)/bay boat/coastal cruiser/have Rubio's while watching UFC fights type of boat.

But I do know a couple that really sail the snot out of theirs and they would seriously disagree

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
I have owned both types of boats and MUCH prefer the center cockpit design for living and cruising aboard. You get a MUCH improved living space below, a nice place to steer from and (when fully enclosed,) a nice sunroom.
Downsides are reduced ON DECK storage and harder to dock for a couple as no one is at the aft end of the boat to catch the dock lines since someone has to steer.

Profile wise...the under 40 models tend to be a bit clunky and sacrifice some sailing ability windage and controls for the extra comfort below.
I am WELL familiar with the Oday37 as we had their 32CC which is just a smaller version. Great family bay boat...but not the prettiest girl at the dance or the most close winded. It was fantastic for 3 kids and 2 adults while still affording the adults their privacy!

Down in the Bahamas and even more so in the Caribe...one finds probably around 40% of the boats over 40 ft. are CC's. And once you hit that length or more...they can look and sail well also. I would never go back to aft.

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,169 Posts
We are currently looking at 33/34/35 centre cockpit boats largely for the reasons Cam mentions above.

They appeal to us because of the gained privacy and increased space a separate aft cabin affords. This is a luxury that would be otherwise denied to us in this size and price range. I guess yes TDW this is somewhat of a 'floating RV' rationale....From what I have seen of the aussie Mottle 33's though they are no slouch and perform decently on the breeze. The look of a small centre cockpit is perhaps an acquired taste, but once again with the Mottle's I trying to convince myself that I don't mind it so much.

Judge for yourself MOTTLE 33 boat details - BoatPoint Australia

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Mine is a CC and like Cam I wouldn't go back to an aft cockpit.

All of the disadvantages mentioned are real and there are some that haven't been mentoned yet but for cruising it has the advantages that matter and the disadvantages don't really matter to me.

Things like a shortage of on-deck storage are largely true but what does one need to store on deck that can't be stored down below? As it happens my boat has a considerable locker on deck but granted it isn't in the cockpit, it's right ahead of the transom. It holds spare sails, outboard, spare anchors, some storm gear, refuse bags and space to spare.

I've taken care of the windy cockpit by putting an enclosure on deck. The downside is added windage. Docking is definitely harder as Cam said because being at the helm precludes handling docklines.

But it is a known fact that a far greater proportion of time on a long-term cruise is spent on anchor than sailing. My boat sails well enough to be up there with any similar vintage aft-cockpit boats and the accommodation is very good, much better than most aft cockpits. Granted it is 44 ft so it is bigger than the OP's starting point.

And I have to say that I disagree with an earlier statement that CC's are becoming less popular. The visiting cruisers into our marina in the last two years have indicated that there are a whole lot more crusiers choosing CC over aft cockpit.

Summary: When I have a hot shower in the en-suite head and curl up in my queen sized bunk in a properly private cabin, I really like my CC.

Except when I'm in a fixed berth (marina) and the wind comes from the stern. :mad: Then the wavelets slapping under the counter are enough to drive one crazy (my personal "worst trait" of a CC). Doesn't bother too much at anchor because the wavelets are going the other way.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Center Cockpit boats

Many have already mentioned the fact that the CC hull plan is better suited to boats of 40 feet and longer. There are several other factors not mentioned so far.

1) The Center Cockpit deck design fits well with multi-mast sail plans such as ketches and yawls since the Cockpit fits between the masts, and these are the sail plans for larger boats.

2) Depending on sail geometry, the larger after deck may make a better place to put a dinghy, or to put davits for one. That fits nicely with the idea that larger boats usually go to moorings where a dinghy is needed.

3) Greater cockpit height has both good points and bad points. As many have already said, the down side is that it creates a lot of sail area while docking, but larger boats often end up at moorings anyway. The up side is that it provides great visibility to the watch standers while underway and it gets you farther up and out of the spray, so it is a little drier as well.

DaCAP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts