SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably spelled it wrong...but I see a number of these (from 80s) in the northeast, relatively cheap. What''s the word on them?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,463 Posts
Seidelman built two thirty footers. One was a MORC Maxi and the other was a "cruising" boat. Neither were very good boats but for different reasons. The Racing 30 was a light weight boat that was very tender. It was the kind of boat that could light weight boats a bad name.(and that coming from a guy who likes light weight boats) They were not too badly built but are really pretty useless. Too slow to be a race boat anymore, too tender and poorly laid out to be a good cruiser.

The cruisers were just plain poorly built and were slow and wet to sail. Both are orphan boats that hopefully their current owners really love because I imagine that they will be really hard to sell.

Jeff

·
Registered
996 Posts
I owned one of 299s which was the tiller steer ''race'' boat. As described they were VERY tender and not great sailing boats. You had to keep them real flat and they developed alot of weather helm if you were not careful. It was a good first boat for me but that was in 85-87 timeframe after which I sold it.

Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts