SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My wife and I are long-term travelers in our early 30s with lots experience traveling the world by land (and on ferries), but no sailing experience. We're located in Oregon at the moment, but hoping to head north this month, to Alaska if we can get there. We're both interested in learning to sail, and are quick learners.

Do you think it's worth the effort for us to look for possible crewing opportunities that might get us a ride north, maybe from Seattle or Vancouver up towards Alaska? If so, any ideas on where the best place would be to ask?

All ideas welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,528 Posts
Thanks!

AirBnB for boats?
Not that I know of. People have tried to AirBnB there boats while in slips but it is frowned on by the marinas or other boat owners who do not appreciate strangers hanging out at the marina. I would guess it might be hard to get a ride up the coast in that part of the country without any experience. The nature of the inside passage requires vigilance in navigation, not something a captain should trust to a newbie.

There are a lot of ways to learn to sail for cheap or even free anywhere on the coast. Having some sailing skills would make it easier to get a free ride to Alaska. Even then getting a spot on a boat with short notice would be a long shot.

https://www.findacrew.net/en/boat/search?action=Results&BtSrt=_LLD&QckAvl=NF

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that I know of. People have tried to AirBnB there boats while in slips but it is frowned on by the marinas or other boat owners who do not appreciate strangers hanging out at the marina. I would guess it might be hard to get a ride up the coast in that part of the country without any experience. The nature of the inside passage requires vigilance in navigation, not something a captain should trust to a newbie.

There are a lot of ways to learn to sail for cheap or even free anywhere on the coast. Having some sailing skills would make it easier to get a free ride to Alaska. Even then getting a spot on a boat with short notice would be a long shot.
Ah, makes sense! Thanks for the info and link. What's an example of a way to learn to sail that might be free?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to the library and check out some books.
Meetup,
Check out the yachtclubs, racing is a way to get involved.
You may be asked to contribute in some way or at least bring beer.[/quote]

Okay, cool! Appreciate the tips!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts