SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Nice to see! He certainly has it figured out!

That does look like fun! I might just have to get an Opti for late season excitement! Lots of air bags and a wet suit.

Would one of these be responsive with a 180 pound skipper aboard? I see the sail specs only select for the > than 95 pound sailors. Ha!

Down

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
If anyone knows this kid - have him or his parents create an account at the website. I'll send him his choice of free swag.

Awesome sailing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This past summer I took my inflatable Cat out on a windy day where the gusts were easily exceeding 20 knots. Aside from myself and the windsurfers, the only boats out were the kids in their Optis (having a regatta of some sorts).

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I do not know why I bother to read comments.. but one struck me "Where are his parents, so dangerous!"

Yes, it is so dangerous to be in a boat with positive flotation, wearing a drysuit, while having a chase boat. I guess some people are only happy when the kids and are in their bedroom doing drugs because there is "nothing else to do"

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do not know why I bother to read comments.. but one struck me "Where are his parents, so dangerous!"

Yes, it is so dangerous to be in a boat with positive flotation, wearing a drysuit, while having a chase boat. I guess some people are only happy when the kids and are in their bedroom doing drugs because there is "nothing else to do"
There's a TED talk about that sort of attitude called "5 dangerous things you should let your kid do" but I think the comment might have been more snarky than serious.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ah, youth,
Why don't they sell that stuff?
The optis are the most frequently seen boats on the bay. When the big boats are hunkered down for a blow they are out there sail training kids.
John
Ps. I would seriously whack myself on at least one of those tacks.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,763 Posts

Ya that looks dangerous as hell. That kid looks like he has no idea what he is doing and is upset to be there.:rolleyes: He had to bail out the boat at one time to keep the boat from sinking. I am guessing the chase boat is there chasing to keep him from going back in during that miserable day.

He should be back home doing Wii-sailing or maybe Xbox has a sailing game.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's nice to see and I think lessons in Optis are fairly reasonable in these parts. However, that kid obviously has some serious financial backing. Dry suits aren't cheap.
Nah. First off I think those tubs are club-owned. There's a whole fleet of 'em parked up on the north side of Shilshole year-round. Second, if you're sailing those things on the Puget Sound in November, you would be a fool to go out in anything less. They are capsize-prone and you have maybe 10 minutes before hypothermia sets in.

Those kids are tough.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nah. First off I think those tubs are club-owned. There's a whole fleet of 'em parked up on the north side of Shilshole year-round. Second, if you're sailing those things on the Puget Sound in November, you would be a fool to go out in anything less. They are capsize-prone and you have maybe 10 minutes before hypothermia sets in.

Those kids are tough.
Oh I figured the boats were club owned and I don't doubt that dry suits are a necessity for sailing in those conditions. Perhaps the dry suits are club owned as well, but either way they are expensive to purchase and they require maintenance as well.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
smack,

The kid int he video has posted in the comment area of the video. Along with I am swag'ing, that SA has a post somewhere also based on comments. I saw it initially from a facebook Ullman sail post.

As said, in PS here, water would put you into hypothermia range in 10-15 min, including the summer months.

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
It's nice to see and I think lessons in Optis are fairly reasonable in these parts. However, that kid obviously has some serious financial backing. Dry suits aren't cheap.
I have one, my wife has one, and my kids are getting them. :p

But, to be fair, many water based activities are just not realistic in AK without them. Whitewater rafting here basically = drysuit. People pass the kid ones down through the community (along with other expensive sports/weather gear) to keep costs down so that you aren't buying a drysuit every 2 years and then tossing it out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Our kids wear wetsuits for sailing. A dry-suit would be better, but they grow out of them far too fast to make buying them worth it for us (four boys - it adds up! :eek:). That and they can take the wet-suits down to the beach for the occasional body-boarding.

Showed the boys the video. First word out of my seven year old's mouth was "Cooool" :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts